Options

Spacewalk - Am I right?

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
I am looking at managing about 10 to 12 servers all with CentOS (except one that has Ubuntu). I want to be able to see which ones need updates and the normal server stats (CPU utilization, RAM utilization, hard drive space). I also want to be able to login to a web interface and set them all to update. Am I right in thinking that Spacewalk will allow me to do this? I can live without the server stats, but I want to be able to update all these servers without having to login to each one in order to do so. Thanks in advance!
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• Options
    NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    You are on the right path!

Red Hat -> Satellite
    Centos -> Spacewalk

You will be able to deploy/schedule updates, see installed packages, and do basic management through spacewalk. Unfortunately you won't be able to monitor the stats, however you have some great choices in that area as well:

Nagios (Old School)
    Zabbix
    Cacti
    Graphite

All of these will work to pull in centralized stats and reporting for you. Also nice to start small and build up as you scale your environment.

Any other questions just fire away icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    I use Nagios, it notifies you whenever there's a new yum update, and it monitors almost everything including our Windows environment, hardware, UPS, ...etc.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    Thanks guys! We use Nagios now and there are a lot of things I like, but there are things I don't like. I'll take a look into the other ones!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Zabbix

Win. You can monitor all sorts of stuff with it, including yum updates.
  • Options
    Got Spacewalk up and running this afternoon! Thanks again guys!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    So yesterday I was looking at the servers and realized that they were not up to date in regards to the new Bash exploit. I didn't realize that channels and repos had to be setup. Got them setup and synced last night then this morning got all my servers up to date. Thanks again for all the help guys!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    You are on the right path!

Red Hat -> Satellite
    Centos -> Spacewalk

You will be able to deploy/schedule updates, see installed packages, and do basic management through spacewalk. Unfortunately you won't be able to monitor the stats, however you have some great choices in that area as well:

Nagios (Old School)
    Zabbix
    Cacti
    Graphite

All of these will work to pull in centralized stats and reporting for you. Also nice to start small and build up as you scale your environment.

Any other questions just fire away icon_smile.gif

Good info, I'm taking notes here...I want to spin up a few Red Hat Linux Enterprise at work and then start to experiment with some of the software listed above.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown