Options

AT&T denial of service letter. Please help.

slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
Att does not provide high speed Internet where I live, a local co-op can but says I need a denial of service letter from AT&T. Of course AT&T after several calls has no clue what I'm talking about, does anyone have any clue what or who I need to contact?

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Lack of capitalization fooled me. I thought this was about you getting a letter related to a Denial of Service attack.
  • Options
    Sry, literally pulling my hair out, this is at a family members houses brother can't play call of duty and nephew can't get his **** fix, and the wheel is squeaking......

ATT corp office seems to be in Dallas two hours away, I'm literally about to drive there if the people over the phone can't help.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Title fixed, I didn't understand what this was about initially either.

To the OP, it is helpful to our members (and yields better results for the poster) if you can take a moment and make a good subject line. Those who can offer suggestions are much more likely to open and read the thread if the subject line is clear.

Not familiar with a 'denial of service' letter. Perhaps it needs to be more along the lines of 'services unavailable in your area' or such...semantics, I realize, but you might need to be more clear with them too. Can you take a screen shot of you attempting to sign-up online and the response coming back as 'unavailable in your area'??
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I am not sure how willing AT&T maybe to go through the hassle of sending a letter to someone to tell them they can't provide the service. That's usually addressed via email or phone. Perhaps a conference call would work?
  • Options
    I agree, I do not think they will admit there is no service available, because they will always leave it open to 'one day we will have service' unless it is a rural area where they cannot immediately get into. Hence, the online option, when you type in your address and try to sign-up for a service, they will bounce back an affirmative or a 'we are sorry, at this time...'

And frankly, the co-op, my guess, already *knows* this information. When AT*T cannot be in an area, people either rejoice or dislike the provider...locals tend to know.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

• Options
    MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    We go through this type of stuff in rural Montana as well, all they need you to do is confirm that those who own the land line don't provide the high speed service to your location and then they should be able to hook you up. They are just trying to cover their butt because ATT probably owns all of the land lines in the area, used to go through this when I was stationed in Hawaii as well.

By the way, it is actually a confirmation of non-service letter, that ATT states, they don't provide service to your address, not a denial of service. If I remember correctly, ATT has to provide the letter under the Federal Broadband Rural Act, at least that is what I remember, but that was a few years ago, it may have a different official title now.
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • Options
    Well, thanks for all the responses, I finally seem to have resolved this. I ended up having to call the ATT corp. office in Dallas and ask someone in the executive offices to open an executive case, later that day a lady called me and seemed somewhat annoyed that the local telephone co-op wouldn't take my word for the fact that ATT does not provide DSL to my relatives home. She sent the required form letter in email and things seem to be moving forward.

A long story short ATT front line customer service has no clue what I was talking about and after several escalated calls to their "backend support" people still no resolution. Anyhow making this post in case anyone else runs into the same issue.

Thanks again all.
  • Options
    Thank you for giving us the update! Always nice to know how things get resolved in case this ever happens to another member.
    Plantwiz
    _____

• Options
    HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Not a like a DOS attack, you need a letter from the CO stating they cannot provide a DSL circuit to your address. You are going to be stuck with who ever the little mom and pop service provider is in that area. Your other option is to purchase a Digi WAN 3G modem and as long as you have cell phone coverage then you can have internet 5/5 is around $50 a month. They even have the newer 4G modems. I use a WR44 in my lab to simulate a branch office to one of my Cisco routers. Works in bridge mode so the public IP passes onto the Router but you can still manage the Digi from the public Https address.
    “The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    Worked out just like I knew it would, you just had to talk to the correct person at ATT, it is called as I said a, "Confirmation of Non-service letter" and it sounds like you finally got to talk to the right person.
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    I might be missing something here, but how about trying to get service through some "reseller ISP" like DSLExtreme or Earthlink? These guys don't sell their own circuits, they just sell service on volume bandwidth they've gotten at a bulk rate. Going this route, someone else gets to fight the battles with the local phone provider.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers