A+ For Someone With ADHD

intlhouseofdanintlhouseofdan Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I have adhd and I would like to go for a+ certification. The books however are all huge and I find it very hard to concentrate without drifting off into something else.

I recently took my amateur radio technicians test and passed it with flying colors. The method I used which seemed to work for me was to take practice tests over and over again on the aarl website until I was scoring at least 95%. My short term memory is almost non-existant but by repeatedly taking the tests I retained a lot.

Basically my question is this: do you guys know of any resources online or off where I can get a complete list of the questions and answers in test form. I would like to try the same method with a+. I'm thinking it might be better of I go for the last set of questions so I can avoid the performance based exercises.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The FCC publishes the question database for the Amateur Radio exams. CompTIA does not, so you will not be able to find any legal resources that contain the actual question pool for the A+.

I would recommend replacing or supplementing the books with videos or interactive software such as the TestOut certification prep kit. It's not cheap, but it breaks the concepts down into much more manageable pieces, and it helps stimulate some of the other learning methods besides just visual. Some people learn a lot better by watching a demonstration, listening to instructional videos, or working hands-on with the equipment, and you just can't get those methods out of a book. Fortunately, however, there are more resources available besides the huge books!
    CCIE Security - this one might take a while...
  • Binary FreakBinary Freak Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    @intlhouseofdan

I'm in a similar boat to you, I have ADHD, however, I'm studying for the CCNA instead of the A+. Personally I best do it through videos. If you do find it difficult then you should definitely try ProfessorMesser, his videos are relatively short so it should be ideal if you switch off after a while.

As mentioned by aftereffector, you cannot get any legal resources that show the specific questions for the A+, your best bet is resorting to using practice questions, provided by the book.

The A+, despite being an entry level certification is relatively difficult due to all the new concepts that are introduced, it can sometimes overwhelm people. If you feel overwhelmed then perhaps you should consider the MTA, they introduce a few topics that are relatively new, however the scope of the concepts doesn't quite match the A+.

Even setting up a virtual environment can help with your A+ (On the software side), I sometimes find getting the hands on makes it much easier to grasp the content. Hell, if you're willing to do what it takes then you could buy a dummy desktop, that you can get hands on experience with the hardware side of it. :)

Personally, I skipped the A+, but this was on the basis that I had no interest in it whatsoever, so it was very difficult for me to find the motivation.

-Binary Freak icon_study.gif
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I also took my Technician Plus at a very young age. Although the questions and answers are published, what do you really learn from memorizing answers? That approach definitely won't work for anything IT. Memorizing answers has zero value and doesn't work in your best interest. You must study and understand why things happen. You have to find a learning method that works for you. Reading, watching videos, labbing, etc. Try them all and see which one suit you. That's how you'll learn and get ahead in the IT world.
  • MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Videos and labbing are probably a better bet for you to know the inside and out of what will be expected if you aren't able to focus on reading a 800+ page book. While you can find questions from the test itself, it is not a wise decision to do as all it shows is you know the answers and are cheating by doing so, in effect also devaluing others who have received the certifications by studying and working hard. One technique for some people won't work for others, especially when there are some fairly "dry" materials out there. But the videos and labs themselves will definitely keep your attention and focused on the task at hand and you will truly know the answers as they come up in that exam. The best way of learning is not memorizing answers, but by doing the work and knowing exactly what is expected when those questions/issues come up.
  • MattyIceVAMattyIceVA Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    @=intlhouseofdan;

I am also in the same boat as you are. I have a BAD case of ADHD and a super short memory. I am currently in a A+ class at a local Technical College but the actually class does not get too in depth which is what I was looking for. I have resorted to looking over the books and watching videos. I hope to be ready to take the test in a couple of months. It's hard to know exactly what videos cover ALL that you need to know but I found ProessorMesser videos to be short but helpful. Good luck!
  • Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This forum has had several ADHD threads before, I hope I don't sound too harsh when I say this - but being ADHD should not be a hindrance to where you want to go, it's just a label - you might go slower than others but everybody is different.

I don't have ADHD but I do have poor-ish short-term memory - my long term memory is good. But I find with short-term memory repetition is the best way forward - that and break up your study sessions. If you lose focus, take a 5 minute break.

Doing A+ may be the first time you have faced new technologies and they are not going to sink in to your brain overnight, repetition is key. But don't drag this ADHD label around with you as an excuse why you can't do something, achieve it in spite of having ADHD.

As others have pointed out get legitimate practice tests, SeltTestSoftware, Transcender, MeasureUp something like that. Learn why answers are not right and it will help you tremendously in your career.

Good Luck! icon_thumright.gif
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    When did you learn of your ADHD?

If you learned of it in school, I'm guessing you have learned how to handle class loads and school work. If not, ask your doc for recommendations for additional help in your community. ADHD makes some things a little more challenging, but you'll be just fine using the tools that work for you.

I know several older folks who have been newly diagnosed and now use a variety of notebooks, scheduling/appointment journaling what they do/how they need to handle things. Its work, but not impossible.

How have you handled other 'new' studies? Do you limit your new information per session? Do you use repetition or a variety of input (video, book, audio, presentation, written, etc...) Some folks make I know set a timer to limit the stress on new material and review it in smaller chunks.

As already said above, I agree about using the label as an excuse, plenty of successful folks in the industry with the same or worse. You'll do fine with time. I also recommend the Meyers' text...hands-down the best for this cert.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • ChamayoChamayo Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I recommend that you take one test and then the other another time. I found the 802 test to be extremely hard but I managed to pass it after the 801 the same day. Not only are the questions more longer and take more time, but the simulations give more room to wander about into a "truly realistic" experience with many unnecessary options, which depending on your training can go bad or good. Test your capability in answering 100 questions within a limited amount of time, as believe it or not... might be your obstacle as you will be timed.
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Here is a method you might find useful:

1. Go to CompTIA's website and download the exam objectives. This will give you an outline for what you need to study. Use it as a checklist.

2. Using the exam objectives sheet you downloaded, go to Professor Messer's site and pair the videos to the objectives. Simply put, start at objective one, find the video that corresponds to it, and watch it.

3. Using either an A+ specific book, or better yet (to me, anyway) the book Upgrading and Repairing PCs by Scott Mueller, find the information that was covered in the videos and read up on them. Take it a page or two at a time, if you find it overwhelming. Quite honestly, the book by Scott will tell you far more than what a typical A+ book will. Not to mention, if you register the book online, you will have access to videos from several previous editions. You might find them useful.

4. Once you've read the info that corresponds to what you viewed in the video, watch the video again. If it didn't "stick", read the section of the book that goes with the video again. Keep doing this until you feel confident you understand the concepts.

5. Once you've made it through the entire exam objective blueprint, supported by the videos and the text, start taking some practice tests (see previous suggestions). Use how well you did on the tests to target where your weak points are. Once you know what you don't know, target those areas by watching the videos again and reading the text that goes with it.

As stated by Asif, ADHD is just a label. It is there to help you identify that you need to approach things differently. As such, don't let a label keep you from achieving your dreams. Like you, I have ADHD. I was diagnosed later than many (late 30s) but had developed several mostly successful strategies that have helped me to achieve the things I have. I've already had a successful military career and am in the second year of my new, successful career in IT. All that to say that you can do this! Just apply strategies that work for you that provide you with knowledge and, eventually, the certification that verifies that knowledge.

Cheers
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Disgruntled3lfDisgruntled3lf Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You're going to find that there is a greater than average census of people with ADHD and ASD in the IT world. It's fast paced environment, diversity of applications, and forgiveness of eccentricities makes it a haven. That being said, your ADHD will not limit you anymore than you let it and may actually be a gift when you have an 'on day'. The A+ was one of the more difficult exams for me because it required so much memorization of things that do not interest me. So what I did was sit down with the book and read 20 pages. Then I'd watch an episode of Big Bang Theory (episode w/o commercial = 22 minutes) then I'd read 20 pages. Repeat until profit. Then, if you're like me, you'll need to draw out a table of the various stuff (IE VGA = 15 pin 3 rows of 5 pins | cord male port female | usually blue | analog) and write that until you can do it in your sleep. Write it several times before the exam then scribble it on your white board as soon as she says go.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Here is my method of studying for certifications and this may/may not work for you(take it with a grain of salt). I understand that this may be difficult for you and I will give you my study plan that has worked for me previously for my certs.

1. Grab the ExamCram book for the CompTIA A+ CompTIA A+ 220-801 and 220-802 Authorized Exam Cram (6th Edition): David L. Prowse: 9780789749710: Amazon.com: Books The book may look daunting and intimidating because of the amount of pages but the chapters are fairly short and easy to get through.

2. Grab/download TrainSignal's (now Pluralsight)Pluralsight videos for the A+. Match the videos with the chapter you just read to reinforce the material by not only audio, but visual as well.

3. Download/purchase practice exams to test/validate your knowledge from Transcender or MeasureUP just to name a few vendors.

Probably the best advice I can recommend. Best wishes!
  • EngRobEngRob Member Posts: 247 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ADD here, diagnosed in my late 20's. I'm terrible at learning by just reading a book or watching a video. The first two minutes is fine but then I drift off and basically retain nothing.

My best method is to jump into a lab style learning and learn by doing and pick up gaps in knowledge along the way (from snippets of book/video). That way, anything I then read I can then apply to what i've done practical and it seems to be much better retained.

Everyone is different though.
  • MattyIceVAMattyIceVA Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank you all for the great help. I don't think anyone brought up ADHD or ADD as an excuse to not be able to pass the test, it just takes those of us who have it that much longer to retain information. We aren't making excuses or feeling sorry for ourselves. I plan on studying my butt off in order to pass these exams. Once again, I found watching videos over and over much more helpful than reading. That's just me though. Good luck guys!
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    @MattyIceVA

I think most of us who mentioned excuses weren't meaning it as a negative. I, for one, was attempting to be encouraging. Those of us with ADHD know how frustrating the whole cert journey can be (heck, it seems difficult for those who don't have ADHD to deal with!) and how easy it can be to give up. Hopefully my post didn't come off as assuming that the OP was trying to make any excuses. If so, I apologize for that.

Keep us posted on your journey, intlhouseofdan. The members of this forum want you to succeed and we want to hear about your journey. Good luck!
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • EdinEdin Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Asif Dasl wrote: »
    I hope I don't sound too harsh when I say this - but being ADHD should not be a hindrance to where you want to go, it's just a label - you might go slower than others but everybody is different.

This, this & more of this!

Fully agree.
  • arrogantbastardarrogantbastard Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Memorizing test questions and answers is a sure way to fail in the IT world, no matter how hard it is to learn things the conventional way. You just have to figure out what works for you, but test **** are not only unethical, they just don't benefit you period.
  • 20GT20GT Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I also have ADHD and would like to take my test by November 19th the 801. contact me if you want to study together electronically, quizzes and such. Steve