I've come to the conclusion (Development / Database ) Related

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
You MUST have development knowledge to fully un tap the full capability of SQL. There are too many knowledge gaps when you are only dealing with the database. I can code SQL at an intermediate level, designing reports etc. But when you start to get into understanding how it works within an application and how to build the database you really are at a major disadvantage if you aren't taking development into consideration. Front end development consideration. Has anyone ever hit a wall in this regards? How can you be a platform architect if you lack this skill? I think the answer is you can't!

Comments

• NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Try Head First C# and Head First design patterns
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • prampram Member Posts: 171
    Obviously the schema has to meet the application requirements, running a query against an existing database has nothing to do with design or architecture.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Or the application has to meet the schema. Either way the bottom line it goes both ways. You must know both inside and out to be truly effective.

Thanks for the recommendation Carl.
  • tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    As someone who has done front-end development, albeit briefly, I have never heard of a back-end being designed to suit a front-end. All that matters is that the schema meets the business requirements. The application can be built to accommodate whatever is needed at that point. If your application developer tells that he can't do something based on the design of the db, ask him to explain why. If he stutters his way through, then it is likely a result of his inexperience.
    As Pram said, all you are doing is querying. Therefore, an application developer needs to know SQL, but a SQL admin does not need to know development. Though, the SQL admin should take the queries that the application developer is using and ensure it is optimized to obtain best performance.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I do more than query I build SP and Index tables depending if it's being scanned heavy or if it's a HEAP. I also look for activity on the tables to see if we have more updates than scans or seeks on tables, therefore removing indexes if required.

I agree you build the back end and then the front end "usually" but sometimes requirements come in and the approach makes sense to build out additional tables once you get into the app dev phase. I've seen this first hand..........

When I say intermediate I mean can build databases, index tables properly, write SP and triggers etc. I'm not talking about building reports off of a flat file such as a view or some other consolidate dataset LOL
  • tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    N2IT wrote: »
    I agree you build the back end and then the front end "usually" but sometimes requirements come in and the approach makes sense to build out additional tables once you get into the app dev phase. I've seen this first hand..........
    I agree but at that point it is your developer handing you the requirements. This does not require any development knowledge, just the ability to translate their requirements into tables, which is a standard database administrator function.

Sorry, can't get behind this one.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2