Starting my Linux+ Studies

alexalejanalexalejan Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
I just purchased two books:

Smith's CompTIA Linux+ Study Guide: Exams LX0-101 and LX0-102
and
Tracy's LPIC-1/CompTIA Linux+ Certification Exam Guide (Exams LPIC-1/LX0-101 & LX0-102) (All-in-One)

I have a tiny bit of quasi-related experience (took a UNIX course as part of a continuing education program at a local CC about a year ago).

I've heard that Tracy's book is more beginner friendly, so I plan on going through it first, and then on to Smith's. Not sure how realistic it is, but my goal is to pass 101 and 102 by the end of 2014. Does this seem a reasonable goal? I went through A+, N+, and S+ fairly quickly, but I realize these Linux exams are a different beast.

Comments

• VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    I think it's absolutely doable. However, it depends on how fast you pick up Linux and how much you study. I studied for about a 4 weeks before LX101 and for 3 weeks for LX102.

Good luck!icon_study.gif
  • thornlordthornlord Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey Verities,

When you say, "studied for 3 weeks for LX102" how often were you studying?
  • VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    Keep in mind I was already a little familiar with Linux since I took 2 classes for it when I was working on my associates degree. I studied every night for about an hour and on my day offs for 6-8 hours. Once I completed the second exam, I took 3 days off before going back to studying for another cert.