Options

How many IT books do you get through a year

rockstar81rockstar81 Member Posts: 151
Out of interest how many do you get through a year? I have quite a collection building up on my kindle and ipad - starting to work my way through them. Some are 300 pages others up to 1500.

Comments

• Options
    nachodbanachodba Member Posts: 201 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I typically buy about 10-15 technical books a year, my last few purchases have been the Cisco Press CCNA ICND1 & CCNA ICND2 Cert Guides, Microsoft 70-461 Querying SQL Server 2012 Training Kit and the Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Bible. I don't read all of them and use them more as a reference. When I do read through books, they are typically "Month of Lunches" books or self-improvement books, "Time Management for System Administrators" for example.
    2020 Goals
    work-life balance
  • Options
    Nafe92014Nafe92014 Member Posts: 279 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I typically go through 4 or 5 books a year. Just ordered my CCENT ICND1 100-101 Certification Guide, along with the Network Simulator.
    Certification Goals 2020: CCNA, Security+

"You have enemies? Good, that means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." ~Winston S. Churchill
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I buy more books then I can read each year. Then usually only finish the ones catch my interest.
    So I usually buy two or three books every couple months and try to read at least one of the ones that I buy.
  • Options
    Rocket ImpossibleRocket Impossible Member Posts: 104
    I buy 2 or 3 every couple of months. Some are reference and some are things I intend to read cover to cover. I'll probably make it through about 8 or 9 this year. School has really put a damper on my recreational reading.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I don't usually get through a whole tech book except cert guides. I'm much more of a spot reader. So maybe one or two cover to cover for me in a years time.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    last year I read 6 books and got 3 certifications from them, and this year so far I've read 5 books, 3 of which have been CCNA study (lots and lots of reading meaning many pages) along with the VMware 5.5 book and Project + book to top it all off....

Currently reading the Scott Lowe book and subnetting for 20 minutes a night. Once the Stanly class is done I'll finish reading the book and take the exam and then assuming it goes well press onward with the CCNA study that got side-tracked by the last minute entry into the Stanly class from a class dropout.
  • Options
    geekgirl74geekgirl74 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    How many of you have young children and are the primary caregiver in your home as well as work full time? My husband is active duty so between his crazy shifts and deployments, I do all the kid/house stuff and work 40 hours/week. How in the world do you find time? I'm really struggling with that. I've got my books and plenty of study material, but by the time my house is quiet enough for me to read, I'm dead tired. My employer is awesome enough to offer study time, but I tend to be too busy to take them up on it.
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've got a lot of tech books I haven't even opened. icon_sad.gif
    Currently I'm trying to force myself to read Sybex CCNA Routing and Switching Study Guide and Network Warrior cover to cover.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    geekgirl74 wrote: »
    How many of you have young children and are the primary caregiver in your home as well as work full time? My husband is active duty so between his crazy shifts and deployments, I do all the kid/house stuff and work 40 hours/week. How in the world do you find time? I'm really struggling with that. I've got my books and plenty of study material, but by the time my house is quiet enough for me to read, I'm dead tired. My employer is awesome enough to offer study time, but I tend to be too busy to take them up on it.

I don't find time. I spot read like Networker stated, I manage to read one book a year. Usually in a skill I already have so the read goes much quicker than if I was trying to learn something brand new.
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    This thread reminds me of the 10k page challenge ones we had a few years back
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Like some others I buy a few books every couple of months, and I end up reading one out of the few. This year however I am above normal and have read 9 books so far. I may hit 12 for the year which would be amazing for someone who works full time and has three small kids in addition to everything else I have going on.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    no!all!no!all! Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I normally go through 4-5 books per year. They're normally all centered around the same subject matter because I like to have 2398723947 resources when I study lol
    A+, N+, S+, CCNA:RS, CCNA:Sec

"In high society TCP is more welcome than UDP. At least it knows a proper handshake" - Ben Franklin

2019 Goals: CCNP:RS & relocate to St. Pete, FL!
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    0 unless they text book for course I am studying. I read a lot of articals and white papers daily but I don't really purchase IT related books.

If I am going to read a book it will be fiction, auto\biography or science related, my way of chilling out after a hard days work.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I kinda go in sprints of reading and then other times I am looking at CBT and then other times I'm doing nothing at all! icon_mrgreen.gif

This year I've done very little by way of exams & reading (1 complete book this year so far), I just haven't been motivated for it... looked at plenty of CBT though.

But I have a ton of books I want to read, so 2015 is going to be a busy year with reading/CBT/& exams - maybe as many as 12 books are on the cards - if someone doesn't create a 10k challenge for 2015 I'll probably create a thread myself as a motivator.
  • Options
    CyberfiSecurityCyberfiSecurity Member Posts: 184
    I usually read about 10 books per year, because most of my gaining knowledge through Video and Podcast (i.e: VTE CERT, SkilPorts and others from Safaribook Online). But since I am doing Ph.D degree, I also I read about 200 scholar articles (average about 15 pages per articles) for 4 classes per year.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Vice President | Citigroup, Inc.
    President/CEO | Agility Fidelis, Inc.
  • Options
    moe12moe12 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I read 3-4 a year, I normally take notes and such while reading so I do not need to re-read it again.
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    geekgirl74 wrote: »
    How many of you have young children ..., but by the time my house is quiet enough for me to read, I'm dead tired.

I don't have kids so that gives me a slight advantage. I usually read in the morning because I work a slightly later shift. I have never been able to read technical stuff at night. I start to drift to quickly.

Here is my usual pattern:
    Read in the morning for an hour.
    Complete assignments/lab at night for an hour.
    Watch a CBT Nugget video for 30-50minutes.

That is enough to fill my day without the kids!
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I eluded to it in my first post, but I usually stay within my skill sets. SQL, Project Management, Process Design, UML, and a few others such as Business Analysis and some Data books. I do read 2 - 3 books a year not IT related usually something that is appropriate for kids. Now I am reading King Arthur the olde English version. It has a ton of meat in the books that the movies just leave out. Sorry for the shameless King Arthur plug.