New books coming out?

DumbAsEverDumbAsEver Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Im just starting to study for A+ and I would say by the time Im ready to actually take the test, it will be after the New Year, (Well thats what my company has me scheduled.) Now my question would be... Would it be okay to pick up Meyers' 8th Edition A+ book? and I should be fine? Or should I just wait for the new book. I believe they have me scheduled around Feb to take the 1st part (801)..

Thanks guys. Much appreciated

Comments

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    If you don't have a book in hand, what will you use to study?

I would get the Meyer text, any book you pickup is out-of-date regardless, but Meyer's and Sybex put out great materials and you will gleam good info regardless. Any 'newly' released bits by the time your exam is scheduled can easily be researched and studied. I do not see waiting gaining you much, but that is me.

You mention that you are only taking the first part...when do you think you will take the second? I recommend taking them together (others do not) but the knowledge is used in tandem in the real-world, therefore, unless there is some serious anxiety, do not wait too long between exams.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • DumbAsEverDumbAsEver Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    True, I see your point. Just get and study up on everything you can now, and anything new that comes up just brush up on it.

To answer the 2nd exam.. I think its a month apart so that would take me to the beginning of March.

Im gonna pick up most likely Meyers' book, and Messer's study guide things and go off them, YouTube videos from both of them, and of course the practice tests that comes with the book. That should do a person well...

Thanks
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Sounds good!

Historically, when exams have 'updated' there isn't a full re-write. Yes, some topics are retired and some are added, but the technology that is 'added' (at least by way of the A+ material) is material that has been available in the industry.

Ex. I recall when USB was 'added' to the exam objectives, it had been available on the market for maybe two years...the technology is typically integrated into the workplace before it gets onto the exam.

Point being, I doubt you will be blindsided by something 'new'. You may not be as familiar with it, but that could be said for older technology.

Stay current with the objectives, you'll do well!
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?