Options

Which is correct: "troubleshooted" or "troubleshot"?

meinslameinsla Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Been in the IT arena for quite a few years now and I've heard both of these terms. I'm updating my resume, and am curious as to which term is actually correct. I prefer troubleshooted, but I feel that non-IT folk (HR perhaps) would see this as incorrect. Any input on this?
Desired certs: Security+, Linux+, CCNA, MCSA Server 2016

Comments

• Options
    MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    Troubleshoot, is the process of tracking down a problem, Troubleshot, would imply you have tracked the problem down and corrected. I don't use the term Troubleshooted, unless in the context example: "So and So Troubleshooted the router configuration problem" I would be more inclined to say, "So and So Troubleshot the router configuration problem".
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have always been told by IT professionals that the correct term is "troubleshot."

But according to Dictionary.com, they are both correct: icon_confused.gif:

Troubleshooted | Define Troubleshooted at Dictionary.com
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I go to great lengths to avoid using either if I can avoid it, but if I am forced to, I will use "troubleshot" for the past tense. It just seems odd to say "troubleshooted" - I wouldn't say "I went to the range and shooted 250 rounds".
    CCIE Security - this one might take a while...
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    In my book "troubleshooted" also sounds awful and I would never use it. When I doubt you can go "was responsible for troubleshooting..." or "performed troubleshooting of XYZ..."
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Troubleshot. I've actually been complimented on a resume because it said troubleshot, and the vast majority, if not all of the other candidates said troubleshooted.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I do sometimes feel like I am being trouble-shot :p
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    d4nz1gd4nz1g Member Posts: 464
    "Problem solved" hahahaha :)
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    The past tense of "shoot" is "shot". Troubleshoot is one of those words that made it into the lexicon and then into the dictionary because it was used in industry. Most properly it would have started as two separate words; I am going to trouble shoot a problem. Then we began hyphenating it; I will trouble-shoot a problem. Then it just became plain old; I will troubleshoot the problem. That is the nice thing about English, do it wrong long enough and it becomes right.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @IT Consultant - Funny stuff but true nonetheless