Options

LInkedin's Impact

Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
How many of you have your boss, manager or any other superiors as connections in your Linkedin professional network and how does that impact the way you participate on group discussions, do you have to consider them first when you are about to express yourself or give your own opinion in discussion?

The reason I am asking this is because I have noticed people posting biased or similar response to a discussion where anyone can have their own point of view.

I am the only one seeing this, I am curious to hear your point of view.

Comments

• Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Never thought about it actually. Well, never participated on group discussions anyway I don't think but the only thing I am doing is disabling broadcast when I try to connect with recruitment agencies ..
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I'm obviously missing something here because I don't see the problem. Why do we care about superiors on LinkedIn? This is not Facebook so I assume everyone is being biased in a professional manner as we all are at some point. Or maybe are you talking about really polarizing stuff? Any examples?
  • Options
    I am talking about contributing honest opinions on a discussion, like when commenting on a discussion that criticizes management, so for example, a person interested in participating in that discussion would first consider his/her superiors first before saying anything bad management and ending up contributing dishonest opinion.
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you know your "honest opinion" has the potential to damage your relationship with your boss you probably shouldn't say it within earshot or write it some place they could potentially see. This isn't just a LinkedIn issue.

Personally, I use LinkedIn as professional network and I stay away from the controversial discussions that has the option to damage relationships just like I avoid talking about religion and politics at work. The medium doesn't matter.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I personally try to avoid opinion based discussions in the groups out there. You never know who may be a part of that group in your network and if you have a rather harsh opinion that could upset someone, it could come back to bite you. On linkedin I treat it more professional and tend to avoid participating in anything that could be construed as being harsh or mean. The closest that I have come is when someone was asking for braindumps on a discussion and basically told that it considered cheating and by using their real information it is easy for Microsoft/etc to see those posts in the groups and that they will consider the action of asking for those a sign that the person tends to **** and didn't earn their certification. That person wasn't aware that it was cheating and just wanted to get certifications fast. (Chances are they are still cheating) but I at least let them know that and that it devalues the certification by doing so.
  • Options
    I consider LinkedIn as a social platform where if there is a need we should discuss ethics concerning the work environment including management issues as professionals, IMO managers/superiors need to know how we feel about how they manage their stuff in order to address those certain issues, so I was seeing that people aren't being honest in their opinions maybe because they think that what they say might offend their superiors.