Options

Security Folks out there....

CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
Does anyone else in the security field feel like a glorified lawyer?

I have been in the security field for some time and it feels like the longer I am in the field and the higher I go up the more IT stuff I forget, don't touch or have no use for. I basically ONLY deal with laws, reg, policies etc at this point in my career. I kinda feel like I am not even part of IT anymore as I am more of a manager role.

I am not complaining by any means, I love my job. It just feels weird, I feel like a lawyer more than an IT guy nowadays.

Is this pretty much the norm for your IT security jobs out there, or am I just in a policy driven place?

Comments

• Options
    docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Sounds like you're more on the policy and compliance side of things. Very important stuff, but generally a different workday compared to the technical trenches.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • Options
    GorbyGorby Member Posts: 141
    GRC has many policy based roles where you can be far removed from touching technology and focus more on policy. My job is one of those where I mainly do C&A related work.
  • Options
    docrice wrote: »
    Sounds like you're more on the policy and compliance side of things. Very important stuff, but generally a different workday compared to the technical trenches.

I have done both tech and compliance roles. I cant really say I like one or the other more. I do miss being aroung the "guys" a bit, but I do love making a direct impact on the company in my current GRC role.
  • Options
    @ Gorby,

C&A is very interesting stuff, especially when you deal with multiple classifications. What framework(s) does your company follow?
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    You are in a policy driven role, that's it. Does it bother you to the point where you may consider looking for a hybrid GRC/technical position? I know I would hate either a 100% GRC role or a manager role.
  • Options
    @Cyberguypr

I actually enjoy it for now because I love to learn new things. I actually find it infatuating learning about all of the different and very complex laws. It tapped into the part of my brain that loves the tech stuff.