Options

What would you do? Master and job related.

yzTyzT Member Posts: 365 ■■■□□□□□□□
After spend the whole 2013 looking for a job and do not get anyone, I decided to begin a Master's Degree full-time. Days later, after paying the Master... I got a full-time job ¬¬ So I spent the first semester of this year doing both things, I had no life but I successfully managed to end the first semester with an average A.

This second semester is tougher because it has the final project as well. I think I may keep doing both things, but reducing the quality of my master's tasks, so at the end probably I would end up with a B.

I'm really thinking of leaving my job to put 100% of my efforts on the Master and end up with an A (or maybe A+, although it's going to be tough as I got a course with C+ the first semester icon_sad.gif).

What would you do?

a) Keep the job, obtain a B and get stressed as hell.
b) Leave the job and obtain A or A+.

The option b) sounds attractive from the perspective that I would be more marketable with a good score and a good project, but it has the drawback of not to get experience and money.

Comments

• Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Honestly, can you afford to not work during that time? Student loans are hell to deal with and honestly wish I would have worked more when I was in college and got my degree as I wouldn't have been so far behind because of those loans. If you can see the end of the road and can tough it out, keep working and build that experience while you get your degree. Also, compared to some of your fellow students, you may actually have a leg up on them when you graduate as you have been building your experience while you do your schooling and that is very valuable to have. Short term stress and suffering, but in the long run will pay off larger rewards compared to just having a degree with a slightly higher GPA.
  • Options
    I don't have problems about loans because I got a scholarship that covered all the cost, always that I meet one condition: finish it in one year.
  • Options
    Maybe you could talk to your employer and see if you can cut down your hours a bit for this semester. Good employers will recognize it and if you are valuable to the team they'll let you modify your schedule to give you a bit more time to work on your studies as they know that is your focus. It's a good conversation to have and you would still be earning experience while achieving your degree. That may make your decision and meet somewhere in the middle which will benefit both, especially once you have your degree and can get back to full time hours.
  • Options
    CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
    All depends on where you want to be in the end. I would quit and go fulltime masters. Only becasue I love to learn and if I was going to do a masters program I would want to get my dollars worth.
  • Options
    tkerbertkerber Member Posts: 223
    I agree with MeanDrunk.

Try talking to your employer and see if they can lighten your load or maybe even change up your schedule. I also worked full-time through school and I know it does really suck. But, there is no way I would EVER go unemployed to finish a degree. I have bills and obligations and putting a gap in my work experience and cutting my income would far outweigh the benefit of getting an A compared to a B IMHO.

I also think it would look more attractive to new employers to see that you finished a Masters degree while staying employed in your field. To me that would be way more impressive than someone who took a year off just to get a higher grade. Also there are quite a number of companies that don't even check your GPA and even if they do--having B's isn't bad. I think anything above 3.0 is fine.
  • Options
    da_vatoda_vato Member Posts: 445
    If an A is that important to you, and you can afford it, then I say soy your royal oats. After your year of unemployment I am actually shocked you would consider doing this. I have never run across a job requiring you to have a specific GPA. Learning to accomplish work requirements while furthering your education (be that, school, certs or whatever) is an important skill that will benefit you the rest of your life.

Personally, throughout my years working around the world I have found good enough is in fact good enough, no need in killing yourself to attain goals that no one really cares about. By this I do not mean that you should do the bare minimum or sub-par work, but lets face it, there are plenty of people who are doing just that and doing just fine. I'd much rather hire someone who has years of experience rather than someone who received a 4.0 in school. So my suggestion is to tough it out and do both, but thats just me.

Just because you can pass tests does not demonstrate to me that you are competent at your job, and will ultimately be an asset...
  • Options
    PolynomialPolynomial Member Posts: 365
    I don't like the advice in this thread much.

The greatest ROI here is to trudge through the job and degree program simultaneously.

Grades don't mean a whole lot unless you go work for big consulting firms as a consultant OR plan on going to business school / pursue a PhD.
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    I agree with @Polynomial, some times in life you have to suck it up, put your head down, and plow your way through. You're halfway done anyways, right? Just stick it out!
  • Options
    I had already tried to speak with my coordinator to reduce the amount of hours, but no way.
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would stick it out
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    I'd then say tough it out.. It's only one more semester and if you handled it so far, you can handle it the rest of the way. Keep your focus that you are halfway there and get it done. The experience will do you well to have for now and the Masters will help you once you are done.
  • Options
    PolynomialPolynomial Member Posts: 365
    yzT wrote: »
    I had already tried to speak with my coordinator to reduce the amount of hours, but no way.

Ugh, I wish you hadn't did that. There's a potential for you to come off the wrong way about reducing your workload. =/