Options

How would you answer these Interview Questions

goldenlightgoldenlight Member Posts: 378 ■■□□□□□□□□
Just prepping myself..for that next possible interview.

Why are you leaving your old job?

Why do you want to work here?

I'm sure google has creative answers, but I would love to hear what you experience folks have been doing when going for that better job.
The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs

Comments

• Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I just got the first one last week. For me it was pretty easy, I've been trying to get into a pure security role and my current job isn't that. It was very clear from my school, certs, etc, that it was the direction I was pushing for. The key, as I'm sure you know, is not to frame the current place as anything negative, just that you're looking for something different.
  • Options
    DrethylDrethyl Member Posts: 121 ■■□□□□□□□□
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTED REPLY FROM PREVIOUS POST

What was your last job and what security job did you get? I'm hoping to get into a security job once I get out of school and from what I've been reading on the boards it's hard to get into it with less than a year of experience under your belt.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have a lot of years as a sysadmin in different companies. I've done a lot of security tasks, but not yet a 100% security role, so I'm trying to move into full time security. I didn't get the job yet but I just had a final interview where they told me I'm the one they want so I'm crossing my fingers and waiting for an official word.
  • Options
    srjsrj Member Posts: 58 ■■■□□□□□□□

I am looking for opportunities to grow in my career. Don't say anything negative about the old company.

Talk about something unique at the company. This should be related to the previous question. Talk about growing in your profession, what you like specifically about the company, and how you can contribute.
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□

pretty much this. I usually say something like "Most important to me is that i find the right company and the right role in order to increase my skill set and further my career. X company sounds like a place where i can leverage my yyy skills while learning and gaining experience in zzz."
  • Options
    NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□

1.Why are you leaving your old job?

2.Why do you want to work here?

I'm sure google has creative answers, but I would love to hear what you experience folks have been doing when going for that better job.

1. That entirely depends on if I am still employed there or not. More than likely, I am interviewing for a higher position or more money. I would state clearly that I have my personal reasons for looking elsewhere and I would like to not discuss it further. You NEVER have to answer that with anything detailed.

2. That would also depend on where I was interviewing, I would never go into an interview without some level of understanding into the company and industry that I would be working in and for. If you did not want to work in that field or industry, why would you bother being in the interview?

If you are looking for more in depth interview answers, i highly recommend you google Ramit Sethi and his interview tips such as the Briefcase method.
  • Options
    daviddwsdaviddws Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□

- Because everyone sucked.

- Because anywhere is better than at my old job.

Joking aside, you should never say those things even though you want to say it sooooo badly.
  • Options
    goldenlightgoldenlight Member Posts: 378 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thanks guys I think I have the general Idea. My current job is ok.. Its just that its not in the field I want. I want to do a more specialized roll.
    The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Mostly because of the lack of growth opportunities, and I accidentally killed half of the IT department for incompetence.

Because, so far, I don't want to kill you after meeting you this short period of time, plus you have this great incinerator where I can cremate all the dead bodies from my old job.
  • Options
    5ekurity5ekurity Member Posts: 346 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nemowolf wrote: »
    1. That entirely depends on if I am still employed there or not. More than likely, I am interviewing for a higher position or more money. I would state clearly that I have my personal reasons for looking elsewhere and I would like to not discuss it further. You NEVER have to answer that with anything detailed.

2. That would also depend on where I was interviewing, I would never go into an interview without some level of understanding into the company and industry that I would be working in and for. If you did not want to work in that field or industry, why would you bother being in the interview?

If you are looking for more in depth interview answers, i highly recommend you google Ramit Sethi and his interview tips such as the Briefcase method.

This is it right here. And to answer the 'how much are you currently making' question - the answer is simply it's none of your business. Of course you don't say it exactly that way, but you could say you are looking at jobs within a certain pay range - if they don't meet your salary requirements to begin with, would you want to go through the interview process in the first place to something that doesn't work for you to begin with?

Also, my $.02 - don't let others devalue what you are actually worth. When I was job hunting, I saw jobs that had these lofty expectations, multiple certifications, etc. - and they were only willing to pay 50% of what a person with those credentials ought to be making. Know what you are worth in your market; use tools like Salary.com and other resources that track employee pay for your area / job, and be honest with yourself where your skill level is. If you are truly an expert, you have leadership qualities, etc - expect the higher end. If you are just starting off, be real and expect an entry level wage.
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□

I personally hate the question about pay during an interview. They shouldn't focus on what I am being paid in the job that I'm leaving as it has no bearing on my desire to work for them. Now, I also hate it even more when I am presented a position and they sell it to me that it's such a great job and position. Looking at the market rate it should be in the ~$30/hr range with the work requirements that they are asking for. I go to the interview and they say that they are looking at paying 12-15 an hour. I told them that I'm sorry I wasted your time, because for the requirements that they were requesting didn't fit what they wanted to pay. I told them that I made more working at a helpdesk then they were considering for the position. They asked me what I was looking for and I told them 32 an hour. They did counter with 25, but I turned that down since the job would have been alot more work for the money and it wasn't right to move for just a small bump in pay where I liked my job.
  • Options
    ShdwmageShdwmage Member Posts: 374
    Let us see - With my current job it was: "I have a baby and we are looking to move closer to home with my family." The truth behind it was I was separated from my now ex-wife and was moving back towards my old home because I had/have sole custody of my kids, plus I absolutely hated my last job. I didn't lie, but I didn't paint the whole truth either.
    I was fortunate to be in a position to be able to shop for companies to work for. I had a ton of interviews, but I went with one where the environment was radically different than my last job. I was honest and I told them something like: "After researching different companies to work for, I would really like to work for your company for a few reasons. First your commitment to the community you are in, the way you give back is amazing and I want to be a part of that. Second you take compliance and ethics seriously with commitment to your customers."

So my advice, always be honest with your answers, but try to find a positive reason for things, and not a negative one. People don't tend to want to hire the negative Nancys of the bunch.
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
    2013: [x] MCTS 70-680
    2014: [x] 22-801 [x] 22-802 [x] CIW Web Foundation Associate
    2015 Goals: [] 70-410
  • Options
    5ekurity5ekurity Member Posts: 346 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I go to the interview and they say that they are looking at paying 12-15 an hour. I told them that I'm sorry I wasted your time, because for the requirements that they were requesting didn't fit what they wanted to pay. I told them that I made more working at a helpdesk then they were considering for the position. They asked me what I was looking for and I told them 32 an hour. They did counter with 25, but I turned that down since the job would have been alot more work for the money and it wasn't right to move for just a small bump in pay where I liked my job.
    This is the classic bait and switch - they baited you in, then tried to lowball you on pay - once you countered, the pay doubled. Not that it would have made it any better; I would have walked out too even if it was for more money. I wouldn't want to work for a company that 'doubled' your pay just because you called them on their bluff. Might be good for the time being, but come performance review time - well, you're already 'overpaid' in their eyes...
  • Options
    aidan80aidan80 Member Posts: 147 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Why are you leaving your old job? Pay is $hite

Why do you want to work here? Pay is less $hite