Options

Suggestions needed :: Security+/SSCP/CEH

ankurjaiankurjai Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I am a new member of this site, though I have been reviewing the forums in the past and I find them very helpful. You guys are doing a gr8 job.

I need some suggestions on how to proceed with these certifications : Security+/SSCP/CEH...
Also, I am not confident of the credibility of the Security+ cert as I personally have never come across a job posting which mentioned Security+

I have 1 year of experience in security and a total of 2 yrs exp in IT.

Do I qualify for SSCP/CEH?

I would be glad to hear your recommendations..[/b]
Working towards CISSP/RHCE

Comments

• Options
    jsondjsond Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Welcome to the board ankurjai!

I cannot be too much help to you, having only passed the Security+ exam. I do think it is a very credible certification to achieve. The CompTia exams have a reputation of being an excellent starting point on whatever topic you focus on. I think they help build a solid foundation of knowledge on a particular subject. And then you can branch out and take more higher level exams. Network+ then CCNA, then CCNP. Or security+ then SSCP, then CCSP or CISSP. No CompTia exam is going to make you an expert at any particular subject. But to me they are an excellent starting point to brach out to more higher level certifications. I cannot speak of the SSCP or CEH. I will say the CEH was a huge interest to me but I decided to pass on it mainly due to the fact I did not see an industry demand and felt the CISSP will be a better choice once I have acheived my CCSA, given my experience at trusecure. But no question the topics of the CEH were something I am very interested in. The SSCP says a minimum of a year experience in information security, which you have. But I still think the Security+ is a great start and will help you with any future security cert's you try after that.
  • Options
    ankurjaiankurjai Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    jsond, thanks for your views and suggestions. Appreciate it!!

Just to give you a background about myself, I have 2 yrs of experience in IT of which 1 year is with CISCO TAC(Technical Assistance Center) as a security engineer. I have the basic certifications like CCNA, PIX/ASA, VPN and I am currently working on CCNP routing and switching as it is an important part of CCIE Security which is my ultimate goal. I am also working on CCSA and starting on RHCE next week. I know this would sound a whole bunch at a timeicon_wink.gif
    Same as you, the CEH content really exites me and thats the reason why I cudn't resist getting my hands on it. But I guess I'll have keep it on hold till I complete routing and RHCEicon_sad.gif

Thanks anyways for your suggestions!!
    Working towards CISSP/RHCE
  • Options
    MunckMunck Member Posts: 150
    ankurjai,

with your background, I'll forget everything about Security+ As you mention, you haven't ever seen it listed in a job add (neither havde I for that matter), and as you have CCNA + 40% of the CCSP, no one will notice it on you resume anyway. Why not finish the CCSP?

Combine that with Checkpoint certs. and you are set for the next level icon_cool.gif