Options

Should I get a CCENT or what?

georgiosgeorgios Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi guys, I'm here to seek advices for my job hunting. Several months ago I started to pursue certs after reading many threads about the importance of certs for IT job hunting. But after I got A+, Network+ and MCSA, I haven't found a job yet. I got two calls in one month but failed on both phone interviews. I think there are several problems: 1, I'm not a native English speaker. 2, I don't have long enough solid relevant experience.

Considering both calls were from network company, I'm thinking if it will help if I got a Cisco cert as a leverage for my poor English. I'm not in US, so job market is not good, I really want to be in IT field as my hobby is computers. Thanks for any thoughts.

Comments

• Options
    srjsrj Member Posts: 58 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What about improving your English? If you think that is the barrier, then why not work on it? It sounds like it is an important skill to have in your area. Think about actors/actoresses that are able to pick up accents and dialects.

In any case, I don't think that the CCENT could hurt.
  • Options
    I'm working on improving English, but it's not possible to get it done in a short time, right? So I'm asking if there're other ways besides thisicon_study.gif
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I agree that maybe improving your spoken english would be the best thing. Look into toastmasters. Its a great way to practice those skills. If you are getting interviews but not past that point, then its your interview skills that need to be improved.

In the meantime, make sure your resume is flawless and build a homelab and build up those skills.

Good luck.
  • Options
    Thanks. I'm wondering if the experience of being customer service representative of an IT component retailer can count as level 1 experience, which can be the base to level 2.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you got an MCSA, A+ and Network+ yet you keep getting network related calls I wonder if your resume has issues.

Maybe post your resume here to get some advise .. Might just be as simple as that :)
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    snunez889snunez889 Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just keep pushing. It took me a long time to get my foot in the door, in the mean time I kept pushing myself to learn and continue to obtain certifications. Somebody will see your drive and offer you a job.