Options

Is CCNA recommended if you want to pursue MCSA/E 2012?

RedGaiterRedGaiter Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am planning on achieving MCSA/E 2012 in the near future, but I am wondering if it's at all beneficial to get the CCNA beforehand, or should I wait until afterwards.

I currently have CCENT, but I postponed my CCNA studying because of my current job. I'm in a helpdesk position for an app development company. The IT department is a 2 man job with my boss and I. We run two physical OS X servers which host a few Ubuntu and OS X VMs through Parallels. We are also transitioning to Cisco Meraki hardware (which doesn't really use Cisco CLI).

Ideally, I don't want to be in a Mac environment because I fear it will hurt my career path and experience gain.

Basically, I have 3 plans, and I'd like your guys' opinion.
  1. Finish CCNA, get MCSA, look for new job
  2. Finish CCNA, look for new job, get MCSA
  3. Get MCSA, look for new job, finish CCNA

Comments

• Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You are already half way to the CCNA so you might as well finish it. The CCNA would be a huge benefit to your job search. There is minimal overlap between the CCNA and MCSA/E. It never hurts to start looking at job postings now to see what is out there.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Your CCNA will not really help you towards mcsa/mcse TESTs. but the knowledge will absolutely be useful when you go to actually use those certifications at a job. I've been at this for years, and I know I absolutely find my networking experience useful in my systems/storage job. My boss likes having someone with networking knowledge/experience around too.