Options

Ten years out of IT...trying to get back in

techaddtechadd Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Ten years ago I finished a diploma program at a private tech/business school, and during that time I obtained my A+ and Network+ certifications. (I also obtained my MCP six months later). For the next two years I did everything I could to find experience in my field, mostly without success as around that time there was a recession and an oversaturation of IT personnel. In 2006, I moved to a different part of the country and got a job driving a truck which ended up paying quite decent...for a while. In the eight years that followed I got my commercial driver's licence, and tried my hand at being an apprentice at a trade, but for some reason neither of those careers really fit me, and I eventually left both.

Earlier this year I got a truck driving courier-type job that allowed me to get into shape and improve my customer service skills and that also happened to have an adequate pay. The best part about the job is that it allowed me to do some real networking with IT professionals, and it reignited my interest in IT once more. Best of all I found that a couple of these companies were looking for people. There was/is just two problems....1)my resume is 10 years out of date and I have no idea on how to redo it, and 2) my skillset in and of itself is ancient by tech standards and I know I have quite a bit of catching up to do.

So here is my current plan: I signed up for a couple of evening courses at a provincial tech school (no more IT degree mills for me). While taking these courses, I can talk to the instructors and find out how to get my foot once more in the door. I then plan to contact the companies I have been to, and see if I can do an information interview or two to find out more. Finally, I plan to over the Christmas holidays to study and upgrade my MCP to that of Windows 7. My question is, is there any other way I can get some updated experience? Also, how can I upgrade my resume so that I actually have something for potential employers.

Comments

• Options
    aidan80aidan80 Member Posts: 147 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I sat the Security+CE last year I did this as a means of keeping my skills/certs current. This also upgraded my two lower end certs the A+ and N+ to reflect the CE (Continuing Education) designation. This was noticed by some employers that I interviewed with. I got the impression employers liked a candidate that (while out of the field) kept their skills current. I've been out of IT proper for about 9 years myself and even though.. having that CE in front of the A+ and N+ has helped get me noticed a couple of times. Typically if I can get to the interview stage I can most of the time get the job. If I where you I'd consider the S+ as your next step. It's an excellent route to go. I personally found it very interesting and sparked my interest in further jumping down the IT Security rabbit hole should/if I return to IT proper.
  • Options
    TomkoTechTomkoTech Member Posts: 438
    Honestly if you have no designs on getting an actual IT degree then certs are your best bet. Where you start depends on your knowledge. If you need a major refresher then start with the A+, work your way to Network+ and so on. None of these entry level certs are going to get you a salary commensurate with an OTR/specialized CDL driver. At least anyone I personally know with a CDL makes $60k+ a year and you aren't going to get that with a basic Comptia cert without years of experience.

Do some research on the BLS. Figure out what actual career path you are looking for. Keep your current job and volunteer/side job in your free time pursuing that field.

Microsoft certs have changed at least half a dozen times if not more since your MCP. And Windows XP experience isn't going to really help you in getting a Windows 7 cert. The MTA cert would probably be fairly easy to pass with limited studying. But is it truly going to open doors for you with jobs? Maybe entry level help desk. But I'm going to guess these jobs aren't going to pay what you are looking for to leave your current situation. It may take a year or more of getting back into in your free time to develop skills that aren't antiquated and make you a viable option for some of these companies.

If you do decide to make a push for it, WGU is a really good option. You can get the experience in relevant technology, your Bachelor's degree, as well as a handful of current certifications in as little time as you are willing to put in.
  • Options
    aspiringsoulaspiringsoul Member Posts: 314
    I agree with the others. At this point, it may be best to focus on certifications. A BS degree in IT would make you more competitive though. You might consider WGU's online IT degree. There are many others at this forum that have had a good experience in WGU's BS programs. I'm currently enrolled in their Master's program.

Depending on the track you want to pursue, you should consider different certifications based on your interests. Attending WGU would be a good way to knock out the certifications while pursuing a BS degree in IT.

Best IT Certifications 2014 - In Demand Certifications (I don't agree with all of the "TOP" certifications listed here, but it's still very informative).

Online Bachelors Degree | Information Technology & Other Degrees Online
    Education: MS-Information Security and Assurance from Western Governors University, BS-Business Information Systems from Indiana Wesleyan University, AAS-Computer Network Systems - ITT Tech,
  • Options
    aspiringsoulaspiringsoul Member Posts: 314
    By the way, while I strongly recommend studying for the CompTIA exams, I do not recommend paying for the exams yourself. There is not as much ROI with the CompTIA certifications as there is with the vendor certifications. You definitely should study the material though, since it covers all of the foundations in IT.

Free CompTIA training videos here:

Professor Messer, CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Linux, Microsoft Certification Training

He also has free training videos for the Windows 7 70-680 exam.

You'll have much better ROI with the MCSA, VCP, or CCNA certifications (if you desire a System Admin or Network Admin type position).

At this point, I'm not sure that I would study for the Windows 7 exams. It might be best to familiarize yourself with Windows 8, since it will be very similar to Windows 10 when Microsoft releases it next year. Businesses will probably migrate to Windows 10 in droves since the start menu is returning.

Also, if you decide to study for Server, I would study for the Server 2012 R2 exams (70-410,411,412), not the Server 2008 R2 exams.

Don't get me wrong, a Windows 7 certification would not be a bad investment, and most employers will be using Windows 7 well into the foreseeable future.

If you attend WGU for Network Administration, the MCSA: Windows 8, MCSA: Server 2012, and the CompTIA exams are included in the tuition.
    Education: MS-Information Security and Assurance from Western Governors University, BS-Business Information Systems from Indiana Wesleyan University, AAS-Computer Network Systems - ITT Tech,
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    I agree with the others. At this point, it may be best to focus on certifications. A BS degree in IT would make you more competitive though. You might consider WGU's online IT degree. There are many others at this forum that have had a good experience in WGU's BS programs. I'm currently enrolled in their Master's program.

Depending on the track you want to pursue, you should consider different certifications based on your interests. Attending WGU would be a good way to knock out the certifications while pursuing a BS degree in IT.

Best IT Certifications 2014 - In Demand Certifications (I don't agree with all of the "TOP" certifications listed here, but it's still very informative).

Online Bachelors Degree | Information Technology & Other Degrees Online

I personally know Ed Tittel very well and can vouch for his opinion, he works with 50+ of some of the most recognizable leaders in the IT industry. You will actually find his endorsement of me on my LinkedIn profile. - those 'demanding' certifications he lists are based of statistics not catered to one particular focus though, so take it with a grain of salt.