VBScript is it worth learning

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior MemberPosts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
Kind of an opened question. I have been looking at Python as a first language to learn and they say it is easy. I understand basic Python but not like Network Admin Python Scripts. But I have found an interest with VBScript. Can anyone contribute. Is VBScript worth learning or should I stick with just Python? If Python, what is the best source for learning Python? I have tried learn python the hard way but I don't find Zed's material to be what I am looking for.

Comments

• fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    Think Python is perhaps what you are looking for? It's more like a traditional textbook. Free as well.

Think Python: How to Think Like a Computer Scientist

I'm like 70% through it and it's a pretty good book, with my only critique being that the end of chapter exercises are too hard in a few of the chapters. I would have liked to a see a smoother ramp up in the difficulty of those exercises instead of demoralizing you right off the bat with something that's out of your league as a beginner. This only applies to a couple of the chapters though and in the rest of them they are manageable as long as you can put in the hours.
  • wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would stick with python if I was you. In my opinion vbscript is loosing ground to its competitor languages and python is still gaining ground. I don't have any recommended reading ideas though.

On a off note I think I really started picking up computer languages after doing autoit script. It is a very easy language with active community and you can package to windows executable. Just an idea if your trying to understand programming fundamentals.
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The value of learning a language depends on its value to you. In a shop where no VBScript is present, then the value would be small IMO. If you use VBScript where you work, it could be very valuable.

One example of VBScript's value over Python is that VBScript is available in Windows without any additional installation. It's quite easy to open notepad, jam out some VBScript, save it as a .vbs and run it. Sometimes you need to automate an administrative task very quickly. VBScript is great for this if you aren't already strong in PowerShell. Python, IIRC requires you to install python runtimes in order for python scripts to work. Powershell is available in most modern versions of Windows as well.

That being said, given the choice of Python or VBScript with all else being equal I would put my money on Python every time. If Python wasn't an option due to the framework and there wasn't already a strong VBScript requirement, I'd shoot for PowerShell/C#. Of the three, I prefer PowerShell.

Edit: Remember, this is just your first language! Once you get the concepts down you'll be able to transition easily into other languages.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Stick with Python on Linux, or learn powershell if you want to work in windows.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Can't go wrong with any of them IMO. They can all be helpful especially if it's your first scripting language. If I had to vote I would go with Python.
  • VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    I'm an advocate for Python since you can do so much with it and some great resources out there to learn it. If you're really interested in Python check out Learn to code | Codecademy - its free, quality content.
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Each scripting language has it's pro's and con's, so just like any tool in the toolbox you have to ask yourself what's needed for the job and what you want the end result to be.

That said, I would do PowerShell instead of VBscript.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the recommendations on scripting languages to learn and look into. Each of these have been on my watch list just haven't had the time to get to it. Has anyone had luck with the VBScript/PowerShell for absolute beginners guides? How good are they in regards to content?
  • DigitalZeroOneDigitalZeroOne Member Posts: 234 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the recommendations on scripting languages to learn and look into. Each of these have been on my watch list just haven't had the time to get to it. Has anyone had luck with the VBScript/PowerShell for absolute beginners guides? How good are they in regards to content?

If you're starting out with PowerShell, I would check out "Learn Windows PowerShell 3 in a Month of Lunches" by Don Jones. Even though PowerShell is on version 4, with 5 around the corner, the latest book by Don Jones will still teach you the basics. Of course CBT Nuggets and Pluralsight have a lot of videos, and youtube has a lot of new beginner videos as well.
  • VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    If you're going the Powershell route, I agree with LSUd00d and DigitalZeroOne. Powershell > VBS and Powershell in a month of lunches is a great starting point.