Options

Demystifying job descriptions for job seekers.

joemc3joemc3 Member Posts: 141 ■■■□□□□□□□
I got to thinking about the qualifications of entry level jobs and exactly how are those qualifications are weighted to the applicant. I had a brief discussion with the new tech at my job. He comes from a geek squad like environment and he didn't meet most of the criteria in the job description but got the job anyway.

A Tech guy with no experience and let's say A+ and network+ how best does this individual search and not get disappointed with the qualifications listed for the job.

Here is an example how would this applicant get this job or should he even apply with the above credentials. What is the general rule when it comes to being qualified or not qualified and can still get the job.

Responsibilities:
  • PC & Mac configurations/troubleshooting/repairs
  • Providing support for popular email clients: Outlook on Mac, Outlook on Windows and Mac Mail
  • Troubleshoot, diagnose and repair hardware, software, network and peripherals issues
  • VoIP/PBX telephony system configuration/troubleshooting
  • Generate, track and close trouble support tickets for all IT related issues in a timely manner
  • Participate in IT project planning, resolving IT related issues and building new procedures to keep up with company growth
  • Smartphone (iPhone, Android, Blackberry) Exchange Mail configurations/troubleshooting
  • AV equipment setup/troubleshooting
  • Moderate travel will be required.
  • Provide technical support to fast-paced sales representatives
Requirements:
  • At least three years of experience in an IT technical support/desktop support position supporting Windows and Mac systems as well as Web Applications
  • Demonstrated technical know-how of Windows 7, OSX, MS Office & MAC Office
  • Excellent research and documentation skills specific to step by step procedures, troubleshooting and knowledge base creation
  • Self-motivated; works effectively with minimal supervision
  • Excellent interpersonal skills; able to work collaboratively in a team environment
  • Extremely well organized, detail oriented, a strong sense of personal ownership, and experience working in a constantly changing environment
  • Persistent and dependable, especially in achieving project deadlines
  • Able to work extended hours as needed
  • Passion for music, new technologies and self initiated drive to provide all staff with an excellent customer service experience
Preferred skills:
  • Expert knowledge of Windows 7 and OSX
  • Experience supporting cloud computing and outsourced IT Services
  • General understanding of network components - ethernet, TCP/IP

Comments

• Options
    TomkoTechTomkoTech Member Posts: 438
    This job description tells me it isn't an entry level position in anything but name. Anyone with 3 years of actual IT experience isn't looking to get paid "entry" level pay unless they are desperate.

With that said. I look at job descriptions like this. I go through the list and check off the qualifications I meet. If I meet over half of them I separate the ones I don't. I look at what they are about. Is it a technology I am familiar with? Do I see any reason I wouldn't be able to learn it on the go? If I answer no to both questions on more than half of those then I skip it. If I answer yes to either question for more than half I go ahead an apply. The worst thing that can happen is nothing.
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    joemc3 wrote: »
    A Tech guy with no experience and let's say A+ and network+ how best does this individual search and not get disappointed with the qualifications listed for the job.

Here is an example how would this applicant get this job or should he even apply with the above credentials. What is the general rule when it comes to being qualified or not qualified and can still get the job.

I would say if you are looking for a new job and meet anywhere 40% - 75% of the job requirements then apply anyways.

If the individual is hungry and wants to learn then they will quickly close the gap.

I would worry more about the individual that meets +95% of the job requirements because they may be complacent and just looking to collect a pay check instead of challenging themselves.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response