Options

ipv4 address question

jcarrillo26jcarrillo26 Member Posts: 88 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello All,

I need some subnetting and vlsm expertise, i need help with a question regarding ipv4 addressing.

A data packet is sent to 24.0.0.5 using a subnet mask of 255.255.255.255.

a. This is a multicast address using a subnet mask of 255.255.255.255; therefore, the data packet is sent directly to the networking device with a multicast IP address of 224.0.0.5.

b. The data packet is sent directly to the networking device with an IP address of 24.0.0.5.

c. The data packet will be discarded.

d. The 24.0.0.5 IP address is a broadcast address for the 24.0.0.0 network; therefore, an ARP request will be issued to determine the destination MAC address.

e. None of the above

I think the answer is C because routers do not forward network addresses or broadcast address. Also, i know with the subnet mask of /32 is for that specific device, it can only have one ip address.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• Options
    davenulldavenull Member Posts: 173 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm confused about the question. From the host perspective, you don't (usually?) give a subnet mask when you send data, as in, you don't give subnet mask when you ping something. From the router perspective, we'd need to know what's inside the routing table to answer the question.

This doesn't have anything to do with broadcast or multicast unless there's a typo and the address is 224.0.0.5 and not 24.0.0.5. That would be the multicast address for all OSPF routers.
  • Options
    jcarrillo26jcarrillo26 Member Posts: 88 ■■□□□□□□□□
    well i thought that routers do not forward broadcast addresses so it will drop the packet unless it is in the routing table
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    well i thought that routers do not forward broadcast addresses so it will drop the packet unless it is in the routing table

This is a OSPF address, this is a multicast not a broadcast. You are correct, just applied the logic to the wrong thing.

edit: is it (A)?