Options

What devices are capable of 'policing' traffic?

DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
Hey guys,

So I'm pretty sure policing is outside of the scope of the CCENT/CCNA for my current studies right now but what devices either a L3 switch or a router can perform policing on ports and/or vlans.

I've recently acquired a 3750X PoE switch (and a ASA 5520) from a recent CCNP friend (whom works for a very large DoD contractor, no worries the configs were all purged) and I'd like use it in-place of my HP Procurve 2910al-48-PoE+ switch that is my current MDF however I'd like to see what features (any neat ones I can add?) I can add to my internal network one in particular that has caught my eye is throttling of bandwidth of one vlan and/or port - I have 3 Cisco 1262 AP's in the house and I'd like to throttle or 'police' the connections so they don't suck down all the bandwidth of my 101mbit....

I know I can do this on my Sonicwall perfectly fine but I'd like to learn a way to throttle the pipe going from the L3 switch/router on Cisco equipment to the Sonicwall and then off to the internet. Basically make it completely overkill.

I know it's possible because we use it here at my current employer which is a ISP so I just would like to implement it at home.

Any help or pointing to the right technical resource is appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    L3 switches and router both have policing capabilities. QoS is one of those things that is very platform specific in terms of capabilities so it's best to look at your model and IOS specifically to get much useful info.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    L3 switches and router both have policing capabilities. QoS is one of those things that is very platform specific in terms of capabilities so it's best to look at your model and IOS specifically to get much useful info.

Thank you sir. :)