Options

What IT jobs are best when it comes to having downtime?

mxmaniacmxmaniac Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm wondering what types of IT jobs are best for people who like to have downtime?

For example, maybe a helpdesk might have a time when the phones hardly ring. Maybe a network admin has a lot of downtime when everything is running good. I don't know what's even out there, so I'm just guessing at these examples.

Just wondering what sorts of positions are the most stress free, with the most downtime, allowing you to study for future certs, or take care of personal tasks, etc VS which ones have almost no downtime and have you constantly running around like crazy.

PS:
Its not that I'm lazy or anything. I'm just the type of guy who does not do so well at steady paced things, and likes to "frontload" things, or build things and then reap the benefits. Examples: If I'm building something, I'd prefer to spend extra time making it heavy duty, so that I can sit back in the long run because it will last longer. I prefer to spend less money on things early, and invest that money, so that it will grow exponentially and I'll have more down the road. If I were to own a business, I'd rather spend more time up front building something which will earn passive income down the road, than doing steady work forever. So I think I'd do better with a job that matches my same mentality.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    It's really going to be a more of a position by position difference than a role based thing. One help desk may be busy start to finish and another you might get a couple tickets a day. Same with other roles. Work loads vary by company and even vary from time to time within the same company.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    tkerbertkerber Member Posts: 223
    Ummm... I'm going to go with 'none' for 500, final answer!

But in all seriousness this isn't easy to answer. It depends on the company, industry, duties, etc... Kind of like a help desk at a manufacturing plant will be a completely different job than a help desk at a law office. It sounds like you may be better suited for structured project work.

Networker beat me to it.
  • Options
    DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Overnight NOC positions can have a lot of downtime if your network has a good uptime.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Depends DPG. A lot of times overnight in a NOC is the busiest time because that is when all the maintenance is done.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    It really depends the place and also what you want to go into (I am on Mobile so I can't see your certs by default)

I am at a Fortune 1000 company and am told to try to study an hour a day if I can to further myself. Never happens because I do tier 2/3 work and am lead on all new implementation projects but they try :)

But for network engineer wise it was always a NOC job for me and first shift. Why first? I had more people to help with tickets. 2nd shift wasn't too bad. Third was always, as stated, maintenance times. So I was doing solar winds mutes, checking circuits to make site they came up, etc

Non networking help desk I had decent study time but most the time (I worked at a hospital) there was no downtime. So I had to study at night.

Some companies want you to study some don't like it. Something to ask during the interview.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I found unless the material is directly related to the role or assigned by your boss they don't like you studying. It sends a message you aren't busy enough or there is no reason for your role. ***This is not in every case of course.
  • Options
    snunez889snunez889 Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I work as an admin and there are days with alot of downtime. I hate it, I like being busy and tested. I am in the early stages in my career and am hungry for more.
  • Options
    Paul6Paul6 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Independent Android/iOS app developer, web developer, or IT consultant.

Or just stay unemployed, study certs full time until you can get a job in your chosen field.
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    TBH i wouldnt recommend focusing on trying to find a job where they will let you study during work hours. Even asking "is there downtime so i can study for certs" sounds a little ridiculous to be. Just suck it up and study on your own time like most of us do. If you do stumble upon a job and have a little downtime to study, then cool. But i wouldnt go out seeking this.

Having said all that, i think you would do better focusing on jobs with a more flexible schedule and/or work life balance. Jobs like consulting and field engineering, sales engineering, etc where you can make your own schedule may fit the billl.
  • Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Working in the public sector is a good option. Usually there is a decent amount of downtime and the benefits are good. On the bad side those jobs usually don't pay as well and it is easy to get stagnant in those positions. Of course that is not always the case.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    TomkoTechTomkoTech Member Posts: 438
    There is not going to be a specific position that has a lot of downtime. If the vast majority of time for a position is "downtime" most companies will get rid of the position. The exception would be working in a datacenter or some other such monster and you are a 3rd shift guy who is just there to monitor lights and alarms. But those jobs typically don't pay well and are definitely not something I would aim for as a career goal. It's more of a foot in the door position.

I would suggest if you can't handle stress well, and don't work well with "time-sensitive" issues, IT isn't for you. It's all well and good to "build it better" but one thing is certain in IT, Mr. Murphy likes to rear his ugly head often, and at the most inopportune times.
  • Options
    eLseLs Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Overnight NOC for the most part in a datacenter trust me I am in one. Maintenance periods from ISP and clients do interrupt the video watching *ahem* I mean study time during the shift but mostly stress free. Low stress from that has led me to do another IT role in the day for more pay than this and learn more skills.

Definitely dont ask for downtime in a interview if it is obvious a role has lots of downtime then kiss that role good bye soon with extra duties dropped on eventually.
    Bachelor of Science: Computer Information Systems
    2014 Goals: Solarwinds Certified Professional (SCP), Cisco Certified Entry Network Technician (CCENT) and Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA).