Options

ahhh fooie

DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
Hey guys,

So I'm reading the Scott Lowe 5.5 book and little do I know the Stanly class of 5.1 will only work with the 5.1 exam. I know 5.5 material, so I got a feeling I read the wrong book icon_sad.gif

Anyone know a good book for 5.1 I can read to learn less stuff, lol!

Comments

• Options
    kj0kj0 Member Posts: 767
    Stick with 5.5 - What you cover in the course won't affect it. They'll talk about Maximums in 5.1 but you will know it in 5.5

I did the 5.5 exam with the 5.1 course and failed only to running out of time, wasn't far off except I rushed.
    2017 Goals: VCP6-DCV | VCIX
    Blog: https://readysetvirtual.wordpress.com
  • Options
    cs8400cs8400 Member Posts: 90 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I used the Scott Lowe 5.5 book, took the Stanly 5.1 class, and used it's voucher towards the VCP550. Passed. I would stick with the 5.5 material if possible.
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    feew, what a relief. Here I was like well frig I know too much....

Would it be more ideal to upgrade the home-lab from 5.1 to 5.5 or does the basic of 5.1 suffice in a lab sense when compared to 5.5 labbing?

My lab if some don't know is Dual R610's (Dual Xeon's - Hyper-Threading-32GB's of ram each) on a QNAP TS-420 6 TB NAS connected to a Dell PowerConnect 2848 only being used with two vlans one for iSCSI (vSwitch2) between the servers and the QNAP (jumbo-frame enabled, MTU @ 9000) and one for vMotion (vSwitch1); the production/management network (vSwitch0) is being managed over a vlan on the HP Procurve 2910al-48G-POE+ switch that is connected with a static route to the primary vlan (home network - QNAP plugin on this gaming PC for vSphere client) which is connected to a Sonicwall TZ 210.

Also vCenter is installed on a Optiplex 7010 desktop that has two Broadcom nic's (1 for home-lan and 1 for iSCSI - vCenter snapshots go to the QNAP to backup the database) and 16 GB's of RAM on a i7 with 2008 R2 with vCenter installed onto the desktop that manages the R610 cluster. Right now ESXi 5.1 is locally install on the RAID 5 300 GB Enteprise-grade WD Raptor array but the datastores on both R610's are linked to the QNAP NAS to take advantage of vMotion vStorage. I know it overkill but FT and HA is enabled for testing purposes. - all the server's, switches, sonicwall and QNAP are plugged into a 20 minute runtime APC UPS with current load backup power.

Given what I know would upgrading the cluster and vCenter to 5.5 would it be drastically needed or would the book from Scott/Nick on 5.5 do the trick?