Options

what questions should I ask the interviewer?

jabokimjabokim Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have an interview on Monday for a NOC technician (very excited), and I was wondering what would be some good questions for me to ask the interviewer to help leave a good impression (besides answering his questions well). Also, it's a Skype interview.... if that makes a difference. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    It depends on who you are interviewing with--just like how you adjust your resume to the position you apply for, you should cater your questions to your audience.

For example:

Someone not in the technical chain, like HR
    • Can you describe the work culture?
    • Is there a focus on continuing education?
    • Is there room for advancement within the company?
    Someone in the technical chain, like the hiring manager or a team lead
    • What are some of the current and upcoming projects that this position would be assisting with?
    • What is involved in the typical work day/week?
    • What are the main products in use?
    • What are the main KPI's (key performance indicators) to measure success?
    Always do your research on the company. How long have they been in business? If they are publicly traded, how are the stocks doing? If there was a recent merger/acquisition, see if this fits into their overall goal and if they envision the business to expand further in the near future.

Also, get the names and titles/positions of the people you will be interviewing with. Be cordial and address them by their first name. Thank them for their time at the end of the interview (again, by first name) and ask what the next steps are.

If there are multiple interviews and there is an opportunity for you to brush up/explore a product/technology that you haven't worked with or are rusty on, casually interject that in the next conversation.

For example:

Last time I interacted with [insert person here] they mentioned the LAMP stack is heavily in use so I installed Linux in a VM and ran through tutorials on Apache, Mysql, and PHP. I configured a basic website and it was a great learning process!

This shows initiative in a quick period of time and will go the distance in impressing most people.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Edit: Since it's a Skype interview, a few tips:
    • No need to wear a suit, but a button up with a tie is always a good call
    • Sit somewhere with a neutral background and lighting that makes it possible to see you
    • Sit somewhere quiet
    • The delay can be awkward, so always wait for them to finish speaking before you start.
    • When you do start, don't leave awkward pauses that leaves it to interpretation that you are finished--be poignant and make it obvious that you have finished answering
  • Options
    Wow, thanks for all the great advice!
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Look, you are interviewing them as much as they are interviewing you. I see many posts about people going to jobs that end up not what they thought they would be. Its your job to interview them and make sure they are a great fit for you.

The more the company feels that you are doing this, they will feel as if you have many options and may feel the need to "win you over."

So you want to ask them tons of questions. I usually write like 10 questions out and bring it to the interview. As im interviewing if they cover something i cross it off. All of the questions mentioned above are great questions. The only one i will add is as your last questions its good to ask:

1. So are there any reasons based on my interview that you feel i may not be able to excel in this position?
    this way if there are any gaps you need to fill you will know and can do so right then and there.
    2. What are the next steps?
    Always find out the next steps. Is there another interview? When? With whom?

And get business cards from whoever you interview with so you can send thank yous directly to them.
  • Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    Lsud00d's post hit the nail on the head.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Look, you are interviewing them as much as they are interviewing you.

Agree 100%, too many people don't look at it that way. If you feel you need to be fake during the interview and hope you are giving the answers they want, instead of the answers you think are correct, then it's likely not the right place for you.

Also, I'm with you, I always ask what the next steps are, from the first interview until the last. I don't want to go home just wondering if that was the last, or how long it'll be until I hear back from them, etc.
  • Options
    Kai123Kai123 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Is the coffee free?
  • Options
    According to some reviews of the company, they have free drinks and lunch lol
  • Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    Is Facebook blocked? icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I always ask this one. With a serious look I ask them. "Do you like working here"? Look for facial expressions and hesitation.