Options

At what point do you decide it's time to find another position?

cloud802cloud802 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
At my current job, I think I've reached a point where I know I should start looking for a new position. My reasoning is that I feel bored with the position and there isn't much opportunity to do anything else. I just wanted to know other opinions on reasons for looking for another job whether it be money, management, burnout etc?

Comments

• Options
    TomkoTechTomkoTech Member Posts: 438
    Seeing as you "think" you have gotten to the point to start looking I would say yes now is the time. Sure you "could" stay bored out of your mind. But I would rather search for a position that at least fulfilled my day. I'd rather be stressed than bored.
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yup, that's the feeling you get when it's time to move on.

It is also important to recognize that you have the luxury of being a little picky about your next job because you are already employed and not in a terrible rush to start collecting a pay check.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Well, it really all depends. Do you like the company you are currently working for? How long have you been there (less than a year I'd be careful about that)? Are there opportunities within the company to apply for and try to get? Maybe it would be worthwhile to ask your boss if there are any extra higher level tasks that you can learn and get involved in especially if you have much downtime. Now, if you've been there at least a year, and the opportunities for growth within the company are limited, then absolutely. Go and look.. it may be a lateral move to a similar position to what you are doing now, but in the interview make sure you know what the long term goals are for you and growth within the organization. That can be seen as a plus if you show an ambition to grow your career after proving yourself to them. Ask them what a normal day is in that position. Also, find out how others in that position have been able to progress in their career there. Don't push that too much though, as it could backfire and they see you as someone who doesn't really care about the position you are being hired for. For example you could ask him how long he/she has been with that company and how they were able to move ahead in their career there.