Options

How to remember anything you are learning. Cable distance story.

BryandoBryando Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
Recently I saw a TED talk about remembering and they talked about making a story. I suggest watching that video and will post a link once I find it again. Here is a story I have made to help me remember. What will yours be? Excuse my grammar as I am not an English major. Make sure you write your story on pen and paper first if you make one here just to help you remember.

___________________ No fiction to this story at all _____________________ REMEMBERING CABLE LENGTHS.

The United States government needed a solution to move data around the country and put a request out to any company that could solve the problem. Soon -4- companies had submitted what they thought could be an answer. Companies named, Company 10, Company 100, Company 1000 and Company 10G. Each company could only submit plans based on their size. Company 10 had 1 plan, Company 100 had 2 plans, Company 1000 had 4 plans and Company 10G had 7 plans.
Company 10:
The plan Company 10 submitted was 10Base-T. It only went 100 meters so they lost the contract.
Company 100:
Company 100 was sneaky. They sent a spy and copied plans from company 10 and came up with 100Base-TX. 100Base-TX like 10Base-T only went 100 meters so it was rejected also. In secret they developed another plan called 100base-FX with the code name “Foxtrot Xylophone”. 100base-FX “Foxtrot Xylophone” when submitted to the government went the furthest yet, 2000 meters!
Company 1000:
Company 1000 also had a spy working in company 10. They submitted plans for 1000Base-T. We also know they were not good enough because it only went 100 meters. They also submitted plan “CLS” like clear screen except with X’s after each one called CX – LX and SX. CX was –CRAZY- short! 25 meters! LX was –LONGER- at 5000 meters and SX was -SOMEWHERE- in the middle like 550 meters.
Company 10G:
Even company 10G spied on Company 10! 10GBase-T is not different at 100 meters and was no good. But William a worker at Company 10G was an overachiever. He came up with “ELS” and the company decided to implement the idea. For every plan other employees submitted William would add to the plan. Plans became called EW, LW and SW. William added his initial at the end of each plan he modified. Robert also a very smart employee made changes to each plan William made. ER, LR and SR. ER and EW 40 kilometers, LR and LW 2000 meters SR and SW 300 Meters.

Comments

• Options
    darkerzdarkerz Member Posts: 431 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's a smart idea if you're the writer.

I find it easier to just read something, then I remember it years and years later.

If it works for you, do it!
    :twisted:
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Yep, if it works for you fine.

I haven't found it that challenging to simply read, practice and use the knowledge. The more you use it or understand how to apply it, for me, it is easy to remember.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It's a bit elaborate but that's part of what makes it work. Your mind creates the story so you understand the links better and it is easier to recall at a later time.

I think visualization works great in the beginning and later you start to know and remember the concepts as you learn what they are.