What to wear to an IT job

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior MemberPosts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello Forum

This thread topic may seem a bit obscure and very obvious in regards to what to wear to a typical IT job but I wanted to gain some real insight from professionals who have been working in the field for a few years. I understand that the typical dress code requires dress pants, dress shirt and a tie or kackies (sorry for spelling) and a polo as a minimum with dress shoes but I wanted to mention the topic of jeans. I have seen some Network Administrators at my university wearing jeans and a hooded sweatshirt as acceptable (as they are not seen in the public eye). A bit of a fashion sense question but will jeans ever be acceptable in IT and are they acceptable for entry level jobs or not? I must say I can pull off jeans with some fashionable clothing icon_wink.gif Haha.

Comments

• EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    When I did desktop support and crawled under desks and did the grunt work, jeans and polo were the norm. Just depends on the company and type of work you do. If I were to have my own company, dress pants, shirt and shoes would be the norm. Things gotta look professional.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    At work, I usually wear khaki's and a collar shirt. I can wear jeans with a collared shirt because I have to get under the desks almost every day.
    I do wear a hoodie when I'm in the server room because it's 67 degree's in there but I also take out the trash because we're still setting up the lower part of the call center. No one says anything to me when I wear the hoodie on the call floor and we have customers from the insurance company that comes out from time to time. One day the mayor came out to visit and I was all sweaty from unloading 120 computers with two others in under 25 minutes.... no one said anything to me then. But it doesn't mean that I go and wear whatever I want. I try to follow the rules as best as I can.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    depends on the job, culture of the company, and who the position interacts with. Seems that most are business casual. typically a college or a factory would be more relaxed then a bank or a lawfirm. When I worked at a health insurance company, we could wear what we wanted but on days a VP or higher was in the datacenter we were expected to dress up a little more.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    I work from home two days a week on average but when I make the office I always wear jeans. I work for a very large financial institution and you see people there wearing jeans and t-shits to full blown suite and tie. It is just kind of the culture there and not just in the IT space...that being said I think you should dress for the job you want. I typically go nice designer jeans and a not worn out polo with casual dress shoes that keeps me looking professional but also at ease in my ol dungarees icon_lol.gif
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • I wouldn't recommend wearing jeans to an interview, but jeans have been acceptable in the environments I've been a part of thus far.
  • ccnxjrccnxjr Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yep, what everyone else said, "it depends"
    But if you're going to an interview wear a suite, and if things seem to be going well, it's well within the norm to ask specifically about the dress code.
    Just pay attention to your closest peer.
    Sometimes you'll be expected to at least wear a dress shirt .
    Also, as stated before, some places might have a relaxed policy, but everyone may be expected to "dress up" for site visits from VIPs or if the press/media will be there, etc.
  • VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    couldn't agree more on the interview point, I didn't know that was in question. Even when I converted from contractor to FTE at my current job I had to do interviews with people I had know for a year...still through on the Sunday best suite. Don't play around for a interview put your best foot forward.
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Since moving to data from IT the attire has changed a lot. Everyday it's a sports coat when meetings take place, maybe a polo oxford on Friday depending on my schedule. Usually dry cleaned button down and pants with shoes and a matching belt. When I was in IT I would wear jeans and a oxford shirt 5 days a week. Un tucked!
  • rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Shorts, tshirt & flip flops :)
  • NersesianNersesian Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Interview - Bespoke handmade Italian suit, cufflinks, worn but polished Ferragamo shoes paired with a leather overcoat if its cold. I would go to war in this thing. Makes me feel like women want me (they don't) and men want to be me. (they really don't) Couple with some very loud, highly offensive southern rap on the way to the interview and I walk in like I just bought the building ala Thomas Crown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3i-zOqko80

Monday - Wednesday in the office - Tailored Ralph Lauren suit, optional cufflinks and Hugo Boss shoes (brown or black). This may change based on the weather and odds are the shirt sleeves are getting rolled past 3pm in the summer.

Thursday in the office - Same as above sans tie. I don't shave on Thursday mornings either.

Friday in the office - Jeans and long sleeve button down. Pair with Chuck Taylors (black) and maybe a good pair of socks with matching belt. Fridays need to be able to transition into happy hour or early patio drinking with minimal changes.

Anytime I'm not at work, there is a 95% chance I'm in clothes a homeless man wouldn't be caught dead in. If I'm not, I guarantee I'm on my way to something I don't want to do or on my way home to get back to the weekend standard.
  • MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Really it comes down to what the dress code is for the company and department. Obviously, if you will be getting dirty and crawling under desks, jeans are usually good. Usually paired with a collared shirt (polo or button up). Other places will be more business casual with khakis/slacks and a collared shirt. And if you are out impressing clients, it wouldn't be uncommon to see a suit and tie, however those roles wouldn't be so much getting dirty with computers and would be a different role all together.

I've been in places where jeans and collared shirts are fine, and others where a person is in business casual. I've even worked for a place that Jeans and T-shirts were fine, but I still wore a collared shirt in those situations. Sometimes it's good to dress a half step up over others in your position as it makes you look more professional. However, if that step required me wearing a tie, forget it. I hate ties with a passion. They feel like i'm being choked to death and can only handle them for a short bit. I've worked other jobs where I had to wear a tie and I hated it so much.
  • santaownssantaowns Member Posts: 366
    It is pretty laid back at my work. We can wear shorts and button ups or polos. No sandals unless your not going on raised floors. We also have our scheduled tour days where we have business casual.
  • pevangelpevangel Member Posts: 342
    My personal opinion on dress code is dress better than geek squad. They wear a shirt and tie, trousers, and dress shoes. Grooming and personal hygiene is very important as well.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    A bit of a fashion sense question but will jeans ever be acceptable in IT and are they acceptable for entry level jobs or not? I must say I can pull off jeans with some fashionable clothing icon_wink.gif Haha.

Jeans are fine for the 'kids' but if you wish to be taken more seriously, or particularly if you have a young look, dress for success. A suit may be acceptable depending upon the industry you plan to interview in, but as 'casual' as Khaki's and a nice shirt and shoes for other companies. FWIW, you knew Khaki was spelled incorrectly in your post, so go ahead and take the time to find the correct spelling.

All that aside, what the everyday wear is for the team depends upon the company, but the interview SHOULD always be a slight step above. Remember, YOU are SELLING yourself. If you polish the product up a little, you may get a taker ;)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I had jobs that were business casual, and some that were totally casual. My current job has no dress code at all, so jeans, sneakers, tshirt. I'm interviewing for another position now that seems to be back in the business casual requirement, I'll miss not having to iron clothes, hah.
  • kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Even if casual place I'd wear a Polo at minimum and if jeans are acceptable then dark jeans only to go with it.

Otherwise button up, dockers dress khakis, and nice shoes. I have learned this has gotten me a lot more recognition than ways I've previously dressed. Usually a tie but it depends on what I am doing for the day (if a tie will get me killed I will wear a vest instead in winter)
  • hustlerb01hustlerb01 Banned Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    this depends on the role and the culture of the organization.

if it is a relaxing place they let you wear what you want. If it is a professional firm wear business stuff.
  • SouthSeaPirateSouthSeaPirate Member Posts: 173
    Dark jeans pretty much any day. Must have shirt with collar and belt that matches dress shoes. Pretty laid back as long as it looks well. If I visit other branches Ill be slightly short of a tie (sometimes). It really depends where you are.
  • VIDEODROMEVIDEODROME Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just interviewed at a place and the guy was wearing the equivalent of what you see at Best Buy. Blue polo with slacks.
  • anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    Interview: ALWAYS wear a suit.

For work? It depends on the company. When you get the job ask them what is the daily work attire. When I work at Neustar I wore jeans cause I worked 3rd shift. When I work on DOD or DOS contracts I wore dress slacks and fitted dress shirts. Now I work at home so I'm always in my pajamas.