Options

Do I really need a Bachelors for Web Development?

TXNTXN Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
My career goal is to get into web development, maybe application development as well though I'm currently unfamiliar with it. Most of what I've learned, albeit limited at this point in time, comes from experimenting, reading books, and online resources.

I am currently in school pursuing a BS in Computer Info Sys. After a few years in the army doing networking (which I did not enjoy, hence switching over to something programming-related) and starting college at 23, I'm not enjoying it. To be honest I just want to get an AS in Comp Sci or Comp Programming and be done with school, concentrate on learning more languages on my own, building a portfolio, then get a job unless I have luck freelancing.

The only reason why I want a Bachelor's is because it looks good on my resume and maybe it will make employers give me a look. But I'm wondering if it is even necessary for my career path. Of course I could just suck it up and continue for the next 3.5 years since I've already started. Hmm!

Anyone have any thoughts, advice, or experience with this?

Comments

• Options
    NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Tons of different points to be made here.

Pros for BS:

- In this country, every recent piece of research shows that not having a BS limits you in the long run for better salary and promotions.
    - Some jobs won't even consider you without a BS.
    - Many BS programs like the one you are doing will teach you some of the basics of coding, security, and operations...all useful skills.
    - If you can get better loans to pay for school from being in the military (or maybe they are footing the whole bill) this is a no brainier.
    - You are only 1 semester in it sounds like, and I would imagine not in the crux of IS/CS classes yet...give it some more time.

Cons for the BS:

- Cost (if you are paying for it and it's expensive)
    - Outside of the US it's much easier to freelance without a degree
    - Inside the US if you are well established and have a solid client base you can freelance without a degree (this is rare)
    - It is a time commitment

Personal opinion:

Based on your background, a skill set that seems to just be getting going, no current clients, no current portfolio (just an assumption), and I'm guessing financial support from the military for your degree...I would 1000% say stick it out and get your degree. At the end of the day you don't lose anything by having a BS, you might get a job offer at a company as a front end or back end developer which will give you the skills and experience to eventually freelance, and you can always work on a portfolio and do freelance work while in school.

Just my two cents...
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Think of the future, not just what you see right now. The trend in business, and it has been getting worse from what I see, is increasing educational requirements. Even if you have all the skills, that doesn't mean it will get you the job forever. A BS is never going to be a bad thing on your resume, but not having one will. While you have the time and support now I'd use it to make your future life easier.

I have 2 friends in high level web development, both work at large companies, both require a BS to even get an interview.
  • Options
    anoeljranoeljr Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I see you're a Texas guy, woot! Anyway, I echo the sentiments of the other two posters. Having the Bachelors will help you more than hurt you. It may help get you through the HR filters and may yield many other benefits unbeknownst to you. Once you have it no one can take it away from you. If you have to pay out of pocket, maybe take a fewer load of classes per semester. Since you just started the degree you probably won't delve into any interesting IS topics until a few semesters in. But you should take a variety of classes that help build a foundation. Some schools will let you do a web development minor for the information systems degree. Good luck on what you decide to do.
  • Options
    tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    I think at the beginning of your career, and especially in university, it's hard to see the potential and the enjoyment in what you do. I considered dropping out of my computer science program for similar reasons. I stuck with it and am so very glad I did. Once you work with the technologies on a daily basis, entrench yourselves in the communities surrounding your trade and line up an educational path of certifications and degrees, there is nothing but fulfillment and potential.
    Also, and this is off-topic, but I see a lot of military guys taking their educational benefits for granted. Montgomery and post 9/11 GI Bills pays for A LOT! More than full ride scholarships. It's amazing really. To throw that away would not be a wise decision unless you had very purposeful reasons for doing so.
    Stick it out, OP.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You'll also year people say "my degree never helped me get a job" but there isn't really any way to back that up. Maybe it got them to the top of the pile to get an interview, maybe they didn't get immediately screened out, etc.
  • Options
    abyssinicaabyssinica Member Posts: 97 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A Bachelors is not considered a big deal because everybody has one, which gives you little room for choice in the matter. If you fail to complete it, you will realize how important it is.
  • Options
    TXNTXN Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the replies everyone!

I see people online rave about how they are self-taught web developers without a degree. I see this and get excited; would be nice to get to the point of having a steady career (and one I enjoy) as quick as possible. But, I suppose this isn't always possible, especially with my so far limited experience, and a degree can't hurt anything.

Military education benefits are great, and I am lucky in that. Definitely not trying to take them for granted.
    anoeljr wrote: »
    I see you're a Texas guy, woot!

Gal, but woohoo Texas!
  • Options
    210mike210mike Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you can get a 4 year degree, please do so. It makes life easier. My IT career was just fine with a 2 year AAS for about 7 years, then I hit a wall. The companies I were looking to work at (Best places to work rated, Fortune 500, etc) wouldn't even interview me without a 4 year degree. I was technically able to do the job they were hiring for, but I never made it past the HR filter to talk to the hiring manager.

Now I have the 4 year degree, the check box gets checked and we'll see how it goes in the future (I just graduated).
    WGU BS: IT Network and Design Management (Completed Oct 2014)
  • Options
    zidianzidian Member Posts: 132
    I agree completely, get the degree. I'm 31 and have been in Software Development for 6 years now. I just finished my B.S. last month at WGU.

A few years ago I got laid off at my first job and had a very difficult time finding another job with the same compensation level. Every hiring manager said that I didn't have enough experience and with no degree I couldn't prove I could actually do the job. Most hiring managers wouldn't even give me an interview.

I was making around $25 an hour at my first job. The best job I could find without relocating paid $16 an hour, and even then, they placed me on probation for the first six months.

I knew immediately that a degree was going to be required. I ended up relocating from that town to another job just to maintain the same level of pay. The company I relocated for ended up relocating me again to their corporate office here in Texas 2 years later. I'm doing much better now, with my job giving me a pretty large promotion at the end of the summer due my degree requirements nearly being complete.

TLDR; degree really matters for getting an interview unless you have gobs of experience
    WGU BS-IT Software | Completed 9/30/2014