Options

Best way to get started in IT?

powdered toast manpowdered toast man Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
So, I am in my late 20's and just considering starting my career in IT. I would like to get my foot in the door as fast as possible and start gaining some experience. Would it be worth getting certified in A+ and Network+ to hopefully get an entry level job in help desk or something and then perhaps get a degree afterwards? Or should I go for an associates degree to start and skip the certs for now? Ultimately i'd like to start gaining experience as soon as possible but also want to take the best route for my success...

Any opinions, suggestions, thoughts are greatly appreciated... :)

Comments

• Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Are you planning/able to work full time while pursuing a bachelor's degree? If so, that would be my suggestion. Obtaining the A+ may help you to land an entry-level helpdesk position, but IMO a bachelor's degree in IT should be your goal.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    Yes I am able to work full-time if decided to go for a degree right away.. It probably wouldn't be a job I like very much that's why I would like to start working in IT as fast as possible doing something I know I will enjoy but if getting a degree is something I should focus on first instead of certs I would just suck it up if I had to.
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The A+ and possibly Network+ may help you to land an entry-level position like helpdesk or some type of junior sysadmin role. That way you can gain experience while pursuing the degree. How easily you are able to obtain a position and the type of position will depend on your current skill set and experience (both professional and personal).
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Don't go into I.T. rather do a labour job or something. Much more rewarding :p
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    A big part of the question is will an entry level job cover your expenses while you work on Certs or a degree.

I made the choice to start with an associates degree so I could get a good feeling about IT and be better prepared for when I eventually switch careers. If I was not currently employed or I was completely unhappy at my job I would probably have switched to an entry level position right away as it all comes down to experience eventually.

One thing to keep in mind. In your late 20's you have a lot of years ahead of you. Don't stress over getting things done to quickly. As long as you can pay your bills right now you have plenty of opportunity to succeed.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    Thanks for your replies.. I think what i'll do is while I am working I will study and get my A+ and Network+ certifications as it seems like those certs are a great way to get started.. After I get certified I will try to land a entry level job in help desk while I pursue my degree.. if I have to volunteer in a small repair shop just to get hands on experience after my certs I will do that :)

Edit: Jon Ciso yes it should cover my expenses as I live pretty light right now... I'm single and don't have kids.. My rent is cheap..