Options

Switching in GNS3

Admiral AkmirAdmiral Akmir Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
I installed a 16 port switch module into a C3700 so that I could practice switching. I brought in two virtual machines, both linux boxes, gave them static IP addresses and tried to get them to see each other, but it's not working.

I tried to monitor the connections, I can see the arp requests going out on the local link, but they aren't appearing on any of the other links, why not? If I use the standard switch that comes with GNS3 they can ping back and forth fine, so I know the machines are not the issue.

The only thing I can think of is that because the C3700 is a router, it will not forward the broadcasted ARP's, even if they are happening on the switch module, is this what is happening? Is there any way I can fix it?

You might ask why I didn't just use the provided switch in GNS3 in the first place, well, I installed the switch module into the router so that I could practice switch commands that aren't included in packet tracer. I was hoping for more functionality, but maybe it isn't possible.

Comments