Options

Going to Interviews while still being employed balance

RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hey guys need some advice here....these questions have been spiraling through my head the last few weeks and really had no answer because I've really never been through this. I am thinking about beginning my job hunt but still want to provide myself some income and do not want to leave my position until I have another one locked up. So I thought I would ask here and get some sound advice from my TE brethren (figure a number of people have been through this and could provide some valuable input)

1) So let's say you scheduled an interview for the next day or the next couple of days...how does one anticipate how long the interview would be? I mean do you take a PTO from your main job or take a half day? Let's say one does take a half day, what if the interview time slot exceeds the time you allotted away from your job (could be anything like travel time, secondary interviews, something unexpected) what do you tell your immediate supervisor/boss? You tell them you could not come in or make up an excuse?

I mean I can't imagine telling the HR person(s) of your potential employer, "Hey could you not make the interview process so long because I got to get back to my current job"....I figure this would look so bad

2) I figure you would have to picky on which kind of offer do you receive....what do you guys do if there is an offer but nothing has been set in stone yet? Like say from a recruiter? Do you tell them you're still employed and would like more precise info or do you take the risk and see what he has to offer?

3) Have you guys made the decision to take an UNPAID day to go an interview or offer because you want to save your PTOs for something else?

4) On what ways do you guys stay focused on what to say during the interview while knowing you're going behind your employers back looking for an interview? I can picture myself being stressed out here

5) Have you ever had to schedule an interview past working hours? Has this ever worked out?

That's all I've got for now...

Any other tips and/or advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance again guys!

Comments

• Options
    TomkoTechTomkoTech Member Posts: 438
    I usually scheduled days/half days off for them. I also tend to try and make them in the afternoon so in the case of it going longer I don't have to worry about it running over a time frame.

Always ensure that the job is a lock. Not just a start date. ANYTHING they need to do. Background checks, credit checks, drug tests, whatever. Make sure they confirm that everything on their end is done they just need a start date from you.

I actually had a co-worker quit. Gave 30 days notice. The Friday of his last week here the new employer called and rescinded their offer based on a DUI which he had disclosed 2 months prior at the initial interview.

I have had after normal business hour interviews before. They work the same but a little more informal. At least in my case. Both times they were second/third interviews and meeting with a supervisor over cocktails/apps to discuss the position.
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    1. I have scheduled for after work (worked midnight shift) and I have taken PTO for a part of the day to go to interviews.

2. Can't answer this question.

3. No, never done that, to be honest.

4. You are not going behind your employer's back. This is business, not personal. The only way I can see it as going "behind your employers back" is if you are under a gentleman's agreement to stay on for a period of time and you are looking to get out of that agreement early.

5. Yes. Just as long as it isn't too far outside of normal business hours. If they really want to speak to you, and you let them know that your work obligations prevent you from meeting earlier, you will find that hiring managers can be quite flexible.

Cheers.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My current job doesn't start until 10am, I've had a series of interviews with a company over the last few weeks, I've asked for early calls or meetings, I was out there by 8, done by 11. It's a lot easier to say you'll be an hour or two late due to whatever story you make up vs. needing to take 2 hours in the middle of the day randomly.

I'm not doing anything with my current job until there is a 100% positive start date, signed contract, etc, the recruiter and the manager at the new company already told me I'm in, but until everything is official I'm holding off celebrating.

PTO vs unpaid is up to you. I have more vacation than I can use really so I barely keep track. If you're thinking you might leave your current job I wouldn't be all that concerned with what sort of time you use, you might be out of there within a few weeks.

Staying focused is like anything else, breath, try to relax, be open and honest. The new company knows you are employed, and it's none of the business of my current employer. My current job is a small place so I'm the IT staff, the owner is going to crap himself when I have to leave no matter how much help I offer him and how much documentation I've done, but, that's just life. You can't just stay in one place forever because you fear what might happen if you leave.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    My golden rule is never to entertain interviews unless I know the pay range for the position. That weeds out a lot of stuff that will waste your time. Also, if you are making a tactical move to advance, you can cherry pick and weed out a lot of stuff that doesn't seem ideal.

Once the ball gets rolling and it's time to line up interviews there aren't many options. You either take PTO, call in sick or something similar. If you are actively searching you need to make peace with the fact that PTO will be burned sooner or later. The other possibility is exactly what you mentioned: leaving early and scheduling interviews late afternoon. Again, not much room here for creativity as you depend on the potential employers flexibility. Some will work with you, other will tell you "it has to be this day at X hour". If they are not willing to work with you, that's a red flag.

In regards to interview time I have always been told the expected time the interview will take. Any half-decent company will have a process and can estimate how long this will take. This helps a lot planning PTO, etc. For example, the initial interview for the position I secured a few weeks ago was one hour. The position I got 3 years ago was 4 hours. I knew this upfront and was able to plan ahead properly.

Finally, no need to be stressed out. This can affect you big time. If you made a decision to start looking it's for a reason. No one cares about your future like you do. Not your boss, not your work buddies, no one! You need to keep looking forward at the things to come and keep in mind that you don't owe anyone to anything and just want to better yourself. Your current company will find someone to replace you and all will be fine and dandy. Business as usual.

Best of luck in your search!
  • Options
    NersesianNersesian Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    - 1) So let's say you scheduled an interview for the next day or the next couple of days...how does one anticipate how long the interview would be? I mean do you take a PTO from your main job or take a half day? Let's say one does take a half day, what if the interview time slot exceeds the time you allotted away from your job (could be anything like travel time, secondary interviews, something unexpected) what do you tell your immediate supervisor/boss? You tell them you could not come in or make up an excuse?

PTO is a beautiful thing in this case as no one has to know. I would schedule a day of PTO and go out to eat if I felt good about the interview and drink if I felt bad about it. I would have the option of going in if I really wanted to or going home if I needed a nap after.

- I mean I can't imagine telling the HR person(s) of your potential employer, "Hey could you not make the interview process so long because I got to get back to my current job"....I figure this would look so bad

I wouldn't mention anything about it.

- 2) I figure you would have to picky on which kind of offer do you receive....what do you guys do if there is an offer but nothing has been set in stone yet? Like say from a recruiter? Do you tell them you're still employed and would like more precise info or do you take the risk and see what he has to offer?

There is either an offer or there is no offer. If there is an offer pending a background, clearance or drug test, then get those knocked out before you make any rash decisions. You're the one in control here, not the recruiter. Don't let him or her make you feel like you don't have an option or are being forced into a decision. You're the one with the desired skillset, not them.

- 3) Have you guys made the decision to take an UNPAID day to go an interview or offer because you want to save your PTOs for something else?

No. It would never enter into my head as an option.

- 4) On what ways do you guys stay focused on what to say during the interview while knowing you're going behind your employers back looking for an interview? I can picture myself being stressed out here

Dangerous thinking here boss. No one is going behind anyone's back. This is business and you're looking out for your best interests and those of your family's. Do you think about the time you spend at work as going behind your family's back? No...that would be silly. Focus on the task at hand.

- 5) Have you ever had to schedule an interview past working hours? Has this ever worked out?

Eh...sure. If they're going to make it convenient for me, why not? I think it almost has to be the interview's decision though. I've done a few weekend interviews which aren't all that different from normally scheduled ones. If this was brought up as an option, I would assume I'm looking pretty good to a potential employer if they're taking time out of their off hours schedule talking to me.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    1. I always ask how long the interview will be this way I can gauge if I can take an hour/2hrs for lunch, or if i need to take a PTO or half a day. Also, being that I work in Manhattan, I try to keep my roles to Manhattan, this way its easy to get to & from, but if there's an opportunity in JC, Hoboken, Newark, Stamford, Greenwich, or Westchester(WP/Harrison), then I'm definitely taking PTO...thats too much travel time to even contemplate doing it over a lunch break...

2. A recruiter saying he has an opportunity for you is NOT an offer, its just a proposed position. When the employer comes back saying they want to bring you on, and they give you the offer letter, then thats an offer.

3. Yeah, i don't do anything unpaid when it comes to my job...

4. I've never been stressed out about looking for a job while I have one. I tell them the truth that I'm looking to leave. I'll give my reasons why, usually in a fluffed version of the truth...

5. Definitely done this a number of times. I try to take into account that the hiring mngr doesn't want to really be there past work hours also, but sometimes it needs to happen after work hours, especially if its a skype call, or meeting with recruiters(they never get my lunch availability)...

and cyberguypr's golden rule is mine as well...i need to know what the salary range is going to be. I'm not about to waste time doing all these interviews if you're not gonna tell me that upfront, or for me to find out later that you're offering less than what I'm looking for.
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks for the responses guys! Appreciate it!
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Well, it sounds like you have it made up in your mind that you will leave, so I would have no issues using PTO if you have it available. And honestly, I would try to schedule either early morning, late afternoon, or lunch time for interviews. Bosses understand that some things can take longer than expected, but you should be able to gauge how long it should take. Some places it can be a half day long process of interviews, and others can be less than 2 hours with most being around or under 1 hour depending on how structured the interview process is. They will usually give you an expectation of how long it should take so you can manage around that. Also, if you can schedule 2-3 interviews in the same day, that would be perfect as you can take the whole day off, interview at each and not work that day.

Don't make it seem like you are in a hurry to get out of the interview and just focus on that. It may not be a good idea to try to push that issue as the potential employer may see that as you not really being interested in the position. Also, have an idea of what the pay may be so you aren't wasting their and your time by interviewing for something that is laughable with the pay. Recruiters will generally be fairly up front with this and tell you what the rate will be (there usually is some leeway on what they say and what you get). Employers will usually defer that question back to you and try to find out if you are requesting something in their range. Just know what the market rate is and do some research as you may be able to find ex employees in that position that have put their pay on one of the job sites out there of what they made. That can be big. Also, know what the market rate is and what you want/need to be paid. I usually give a good range and if they ask what I currently make, I will usually inflate that slightly so it doesn't look like I'm trying to get a big pay day out of it.

Don't ever think of it as going behind your bosses back by interviewing. That is an unnecessary concern and one that you need to not think of.. You are a professional and are making a business decision that is best for you and your family, not the company you currently work for.

And if you have the PTO, never take unpaid time. If you are looking to leave, it's better to use it because it's fairly likely you will be leaving and you don't want to lose it.

They will ask you why you are looking to leave, so make sure you have good reasons, such as the opportunities to grow within the company are fairly limited, etc.