Options

How do your coworkers feel about you getting certified? Why are you doing it?

BryandoBryando Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
I work in a government job and I do not get raises for any cert I get. My coworkers think I am wasting my time but I do not feel that way. I do it because I may move positions someday and I Increase my knowledge. I also feel they feel threatened by me getting certs. My question to you is: How do your coworkers feel about you studying and taking certifications?

Comments

• Options
    10Linefigure10Linefigure Member Posts: 368 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My coworkers don't mind. We all have to maintain certian ones and everyone gets paid time off to go to school for it if required. Usually if its work related say studying MCSA:7 then you can do it freely at work. If its not work related, say CEH then you can do it at work just be sure everything for your daily job is getting done too.
    CCNP R&S, Security+
    B.S. Geography - Business Minor
    MicroMasters - CyberSecurity
    Professional Certificate - IT Project Management
  • Options
    Kai123Kai123 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Our workplace is pushing to get everyone certified, even the t2 network techs have no certs (CCNA) and the manager wants everyone certed up.

I have a feeling once I get my CCNA, It wont be linked with any pay rises. The role I'm in is a precursor to T1 NOC role (with the crazy shifts that goes with it) and that's where the pay gets bumped.
  • Options
    zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I also work for the government and like you mentioned, for many folks they only pursue the bare minimum certifications for their position. Like you mentioned I prefer to pursue certifications that will further my knowledge and one day help me land an even higher position.
  • Options
    tkerbertkerber Member Posts: 223
    Where I work (large tech company) certifications are embraced and endorsed highly, however not required...

I think employers should always support their employees bettering themselves and pursuing higher education. If your coworkers feel threatened by you getting certs than that is sad. In my mind learning / studying certs is never a waste of time, getting certified can be a hit or miss depending on who you talk to. But in general having the motive to want to learn more is what drives success. Doesn't surprise me that this is Government.
  • Options
    emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    I enjoy certing up as a token of the knowledge I've received. I'm of the mind that anyone can talk but the external validation is useful for gauging yourself and allowing others to gauge where you are.

That said I have run into some issues with my recent most certification attempts because it's not required though highly encouraged by my boss. As the new(er) guy I want to be able to talk and perform at that higher level, so i've taken it to the extreme (studying after hours, labbing on the weekend) but not everyone appreciates why i'm personally motivated and instead take it as a personal affront. I have been approached regarding some of them i.e. how long did it take you, what did you use to study etc, especially for CEH, and I typically lay out a game plan and have even offered to use some of my materials on occasion.