Options

Need advice

JohnjonesJohnjones Member Posts: 105 ■■□□□□□□□□
I just started working as a junior sys admin. I'm in my 20's. It's a small company and only 4 of us. 1 guy is strictly database, another has been here about 4 years. The last one is new.

The guy who has been here for 4 years is a super jerk. Older guy 40's. He does everything himself and doesn't share any information. When something goes wrong, we don't have the necessary information needed in order to diagnose/resolve the problem. Also, this hurts because I don't know the network as well as I should. I've asked him if he needs any assistance doing ANYTHING, but he seems to shut me out. He doesn't speak to me and when he does it's not about work...just a quick joke or two.

The other new guy is in his 40's and they seem to get along great and he typically goes to him for help or anything and leave me out of the conversation. When I come to work, I typically have nothing to do nor help out with which makes the 8 hours long. I haven't messed anything up...haven't had a chance to lol.

Should I start job searching?

Comments

• Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    have you talked to your manager?
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    ninjaturtleninjaturtle Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sometimes the older guys feel threatened by the younger guys, as though you might steal there job. If he gives you the information, he's no longer "needed" which really comes down to confidence. Other times that person just wants to be an *******, and is not a team player. It sounds like your in a job that doesn't have that team mentality.

If you aren't challenged at your job, learning new things, unable to work with your team ...it's most certainly time to move on. When the time flies by at work, it means you enjoy what you do. You are busy, you are learning, you are growing.
    Current Study Discipline: CCIE Data Center
    Cisco SEAL, Cisco SWAT, Cisco DeltaForce, Cisco FBI, Cisco DoD, Cisco Army Rangers, Cisco SOCOM .ιlι..ιlι.
  • Options
    ajs: I thought about it, but figured I keep my mouth shut because I just started working here you know? Figure I'd see how long it continues. I think it's just the guy's personality he's got to be the "man".
  • Options
    LinuxNerdLinuxNerd Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Part of work, dealing with unsavory characters. Just do your thing and avoid him unless you're forced to interact.
  • Options
    elToritoelTorito Member Posts: 102
    As you mentioned, you just started out - it may take some time for the ice to break.

Perhaps you can ask for either of these guys to point out where the documentation, network diagrams and knowledge base is to be found? It may be better to absorb this information first, before asking more specific questions.
    WIP: CISSP, MCSE Server Infrastructure
    Casual reading:
    CCNP, Windows Sysinternals Administrator's Reference, Network Warrior

• Options
    TomkoTechTomkoTech Member Posts: 438
    How long is "just started"? As elTorito stated it could just take the guy some time. He may have had a bad experience teaching some young kid everything he knows over the course of a year and that kid bailed on him, so he is holding a grudge? It could be anything. Do you have a direct supervisor? Who hands out your assignments? If you are literally sitting around doing nothing, that's an issue. If you have low end assignments that are a breeze for you and you get them done quickly and are just looking to further your experience and learn, there is a lot you can figure out about your network and systems without that guy telling you a thing. Start there.
  • Options
    Been here about 2 months. I thought things would get better over time but nope. Today I asked what am I supposed to do if someone has a problem and I don't know what to do because I'm not sure what you're doing. This dude said call me at and I'll come in if I have to. So what exactly am I needed for? If he does have a grudge what am I supposed to do about it? Get over it.
  • Options
    SouthSeaPirateSouthSeaPirate Member Posts: 173
    Johnjones wrote: »
    Been here about 2 months. I thought things would get better over time but nope. Today I asked what am I supposed to do if someone has a problem and I don't know what to do because I'm not sure what you're doing. This dude said call me at and I'll come in if I have to. So what exactly am I needed for? If he does have a grudge what am I supposed to do about it? Get over it.

Not sure if i missed it, but have you talked to your direct supervisor? In addition to whats already been stated, maybe he worries about cleaning up after a mistake possibly made by you. Either you have to show him you are capable, or if not, that you'd like to learn. From what youve said so far he may be assuming you are just wanting to jump in and do it rather than just willing to learn until he can/will trust you to make changes on your own.
  • Options
    loxleynewloxleynew Member Posts: 405
    Define how "small" the company is. Potentially there is not enough work to go around, so if you start doing stuff and learning and it comes time to lay off people, the older guys will be the first to go. Primarily because they make more money to do similar job. Talk to your manager and ask for more projects.
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    2 months isn't a terribly long time to be in the position you are in to be honest. I know he seems like he doesn't trust/like you, and it may be because he's so many others in your position before you make mistakes or do great, develop a mentorship only to have them jump ship and leave and it's left him a bit bitter in response. The best thing you could do at this step in your career is to deal with it and continue to make attempts to learn by asking him and others questions and if they jump in to do something, ask them if they can show you so you know and understand why they do things a certain way. You'll develop a good rapport with him and he'll eventually open up. I've worked with people similar to that in the past and the first 6 months were bad, and I felt like I'd never like the guy. After that initial warming up period, we became friends and he was/is still a mentor to me. There many things I have learned from him, and he's picked up a few new tricks thanks to me as well. Sadly, some people take time to warm up to, and part of that could be your age. Just show him that you want to learn and be as good as he is so you don't have to run to him for what he may see as trivial or an easy process. Keep your spirits up and motivation to learn in your position and things will get better. If after a point he's still like that to you, it may be worthwhile to sit down and have a talk with him civilly about why he treats you the way he has. He may not be aware that he's doing that. And if he is aware, well, he's just an ******* and I'd just learn as quick as you can from him and avoid him as best you are able to.