Options

CCNA/CCNP should help or not?

CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
Ok so i work in a CISCO run environment. I dont really care about what certs to get for my career as much as I care about knowing my stuff inside and out. I have about 6 years exp in IT with most of it doing security (vulnerability scans, logs, compliance and a little networking).

I have been able to function with my security knowledge, but I always feel like I am far behind understanding the networking side of the house. I frequently have meetings with engineers and although I can understand most everything they are talking about, I dont feel like I have the technical knowledge to make definitive security decisions.

Should I seek out the CCNA/CCNP to get this more in depth experience. I honestly feel that security professionals need more than just functional knowledge of networking to be effective.

All in all I love to learn, I dont mind putting in the time for the CCNA/CCNP. I think it is all rather interesting. Your thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's definitely not going to hurt you!

I'd strongly recommend going for the CCNA at least.
    CCIE Security - this one might take a while...
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I do not know how one can secure a network without knowing how to construct one. Long story short, the additional information can only help.
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    It definitely wouldn't hurt. So why not, especially if your company will foot the bill.
  • Options
    TomkoTechTomkoTech Member Posts: 438
    I would start with the CCNA:Security. It will definitely help you out. After that if you feel that you gained enough from the CCNA then do the CCNP. If nothing else you will learn a lot and have the ammo to request a raise.
  • Options
    TomkoTech wrote: »
    I would start with the CCNA:Security. It will definitely help you out. After that if you feel that you gained enough from the CCNA then do the CCNP. If nothing else you will learn a lot and have the ammo to request a raise.

CCNA Security? Isnt the CCNA prereq for CCNA:SEC
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Not any more. You have to do the CCENT first then you can take the CCNA+SEC test second now and be CCNA+SEC certified.
  • Options
    no!all!no!all! Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think your security experience and CCNA will go hand in hand!
    A+, N+, S+, CCNA:RS, CCNA:Sec

"In high society TCP is more welcome than UDP. At least it knows a proper handshake" - Ben Franklin

2019 Goals: CCNP:RS & relocate to St. Pete, FL!
  • Options
    5502george5502george Member Posts: 264
    CCNA:SEC seems like a good choice
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Agree with the others. CCNA:S and even then, a CCNA:R&S would be great to have working in security. I've tried to get more technical security roles but the one big obstacle has been my lack of deep networking knowledge, like on the CCNA level, as well as some of the security knowledge on the CCNA:S level. So I've been stuck in GRC land. I actually am expecting an offer for a Sr InfoSec Admin role and they are willing to look past that as I had mentioned I would study and pursue them, and I'm strong in all the other areas they were looking for.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    Agree with the others. CCNA:S and even then, a CCNA:R&S would be great to have working in security. I've tried to get more technical security roles but the one big obstacle has been my lack of deep networking knowledge, like on the CCNA level, as well as some of the security knowledge on the CCNA:S level. So I've been stuck in GRC land. I actually am expecting an offer for a Sr InfoSec Admin role and they are willing to look past that as I had mentioned I would study and pursue them, and I'm strong in all the other areas they were looking for.

Yeah my role is becoming more and more GRC (which I am bored of). I am happy not making a ton of money, but doing what I actually enjoy. I just dont want to get stuck doing GRC becasue I lack the actual knowledge to do aything else if you know what I mean.