Options

Administration Frustrations

VerbatimVerbatim Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have been working with WGU for a little over a month now on getting enrolled and hopefully starting classes on 1 Dec. Throughout the entire process, I have noticed that my profile looked a bit off, but I never thought too much about it. Yesterday I get the transcript evaluation email and see that I have been enrolled in the Masters pipeline instead of the BS pipeline somehow.

Has anyone else gone through this, or did I just get the cosmic luck of the draw? All I want to do is start my classes as soon as my VA paperwork clears, but now I am worried another delay will push me back to staring in Jan vs Dec.

Comments

• Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sounds like WGU's enrollment process continue's to be the worst part of the overall experience. Numerous people complain about it probably due to the volume of applications they have to process. Just saw the press release last week that have 50k enrolled students, nuts considering they just started 15 years ago.

I would keep at, try to schedule more frequent calls or maybe request a different enrollment counselor but they are all probably under the same load.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    TomkoTechTomkoTech Member Posts: 438
    My experience enrolling was a nightmare. It took me like 4 months from taking the entrance exam to actually getting enrolled because their process sucks.

Just stick with it. After you are enrolled it is a lot better.
  • Options
    MitechniqMitechniq Member Posts: 286 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't remember having any issues with my enrollment, but that was 6 years ago. I remember WGU sent me an email when they hit 10,000 students..how WGU has grown....just keep at it OP they will get to you soon.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    First first EC was bad, the 2nd didn't call, the 3rd one was great. After that everything was fine. I didn't wait very long for any of them though, if you don't know the answers to anything, or I know for a fact the answers you are giving me are wrong I just called someone else, no point in waiting months with bad info. Everyone mentions how bad the enrollment process is, I don't know why WGU doesn't put more training into those front facing employees because it gives a bad impression.
  • Options
    Thanks all. It does make me feel better knowing that others have felt the pain before they got the gain. I guess I am just chomping at the bit to get started and I am afraid of letting stuff like this kill my initial momentum.
  • Options
    Update: I am entered into the BS program correctly, but now that I have gotten my transcripts back I see that they gave me no credit for my CASP or CEH certs (I am a grandfatherd Sec+ guy), did not credit any of my 14 years IT in the military and did not allow any of my original junior college prior to joining the military.

While I still believe that I can gain my degree quickly from WGU, it was a huge deflation to see that out of 18yrs IT and security experience 4 classes were given credit.
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    While I can understand your frustration, in the end it is a good thing - it actually strengthens your degree, by lowering the association with institutions who grant college credit for 'life experience.'
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    Yep, the certs have to directly translate to the classes they cover. The CEH would only cover a class for the masters program, not the undergrad. I'm not sure what 14 years in the military should count for class credit though, not discounting your work, but there isn't a direct correlation between that and a class or most of us would be getting "life experience" credits, which WGU doesn't do.
  • Options
    I know I am just having a case of Polly Pissypants at the moment, and I acknowledge that fact, but I did challenge the omission of my CASP on meeting the requirments for C299 Desigining Customized Security and CTV1 Security. I sent them supportive documentation, aka DoD publications, on why they should allow it to count for those two classes.
  • Options
    All of my fundamental IT classes were listed on my Smart Transcripts and while the courses hit beyond the 5 year mark, the Navy kept us technically proficient with each generation of OS that was approved. Basically all my technical abilities, the same ones that allowed me to get a secondary career with the Government are directly tied back to the Navy.

The same for a few side military classes that had ACE credit, but did not carry over through the WGU screening process.
  • Options
    I feel your pain, I do, I brought in 106 credits to start, I actually started with under 40. All IT courses were over 5 years, lost a ton that way. I also was originally a business major many years ago so there were a bunch there too that were considered extra. On the plus side, its competency based, while I might not have gotten my business classes covered because they weren't exact, I was able to blow through their business classes very quickly. Look at the Sec+ the same way, you've already taken the test, you know the material as you said, so go knock it out of the park.