Options

Timeline for putting in notice for a new job with background check

Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
So, I got a call today from my recruiter that a company I've been interviewing with wants me there, salary is negotiated, etc. I've only worked at companies in the past that didn't do a background check. Note, my background is spotless, drug test is no problem at all, but just having never done one I have this nervous feeling about when people say they've done them and gotten mistaken results, it's silly I know as I don't even drink coffee, but a fear nevertheless.

The question is, do you typically put in your 2 weeks after signing with the company AFTER doing the checks, or wait until that is all done then know that it's a go and put in your notice?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    I'd let your future employer know that you're available to start 2 weeks after your background check clears (this is typically what I do with a clearance crossover 'my availability is crossover plus two weeks'). I'd approach a generic background check the same way.
  • Options
    TomkoTechTomkoTech Member Posts: 438
    You need to wait until AFTER the background check is done. Anything could happen in between and they can rescind their offer.
  • Options
    Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    Usually they wont let you sign untill after your background checks are done. Once you have signed an offer it is very hard for them to rescind their offer.
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • Options
    TomkoTechTomkoTech Member Posts: 438
    That isn't true. While yes if you have nothing on your background it really shouldn't be in issue. However as I posted in another thread a week or so ago. I have a co-worker who had a job offer: Salary, Start date, everything signed and the offer was rescinded based on a DUI that he had which they were well aware of as he brought it up in the interview(Or so he says). Anywhere that has a background check the offer letter usually indicates somewhere (pending background, credit, whatever else check).
  • Options
    Thanks everyone, sounds like it's pretty standard to start the 2 weeks AFTER everything is cleared so it won't be strange that I want to wait until that is all done.
  • Options
    goldenlightgoldenlight Member Posts: 378 ■■□□□□□□□□
    2 weeks from official offer letter date.
    The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs
  • Options
    apr911apr911 Member Posts: 380 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Keep in mind a spotless record in the National Crime Database does not equal a spotless record in employment checks.

The services companies contract out background checks to are themselves FOR PROFIT companies that purchase crime database information from various government agencies.

There is very little regulation of these companies and like Credit Reporting agencies are prone to errors. Unlike Credit Reporting agencies, there are far too many of them to possibly check your background with them all assuming you even can, most of them dont allow for individual background checks and those that do charge exorbitant fees (and there is no free check per year) and finally there is very little recourse as they are under no obligation to correct wrongly reported information.

2 Years ago I had a run in with my background check for my new apartment. Ive never been in trouble, had had several employment background checks conducted and never had an issue yet the background agency they used flagged a record related to someone else as mine. Although I contested it, the damage was already done and I lost the apartment. 6 months later, I found another apartment that used the same background check company. I gave them fair warning that I had issues with the company in the past (and was able to provide the reference number) so when they flagged the reference number again, the new apartment complex was more understanding and let me move in despite my "spotty" record. I had to contest the record a 2nd time and while I now have 2 written reports indicating they removed the record, I still dread the day a potential landlord or employer uses their service because I just dont know that the written reports are worth the paper they're written on.

5 years ago I had an issue with an employment background check where the company was unable to verify my employment at a specific employer. Seeing as how it had been many years since I had worked for the company, I did not have any paystubs or W2 available. That being said, I was able to call their HR office and get a letter from them verifying my employment and dates... Why the background check company was unable to do the same is beyond me.

More to the point of when to give notice, my preference has always been (even before the above run-ins but especially now) is to give notice after the background check clears. My current company however does not run background checks until after you've already started. In that case, it is important to find out what the policy is regarding flagged background checks. Will they allow you to contest something that is incorrect and/or will they allow you to continue to be employed when they find something which you did disclose?

You dont know what the background check company is looking for and you dont know what is a terminating offense. Did you leave your previous employer at the end of the month and report it on your resume as the following month? That could be enough for them to flag it. Or maybe HR messed up and entered your separation date incorrectly that's happened to me with my health insurance, I had it termed almost a week early because HR reported to the insurance company that I had left the company despite still being on my notice period, so there's no reason a similar mistake cant be made with your employment file.

Ultimately, the hiring company usually doesnt get any information from the background check company for privacy reasons. All they get is a report saying that discrepancies/records were found so depending on how strict the background company wants to be, the difference between August 31 and September 1 could mean your job.
    Currently Working On: Openstack
    2020 Goals: AWS/Azure/GCP Certifications, F5 CSE Cloud, SCRUM, CISSP-ISSMP
  • Options
    tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    apr911 wrote: »
    Keep in mind a spotless record in the National Crime Database does not equal a spotless record in employment checks.

+1 for the in-depth post and some sympathy for the crap hand you were dealt.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • Options
    apr911apr911 Member Posts: 380 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks tprice5.

Usually, Im not a big proponent of government regulation but background checks companies are almost completely unregulated (some states have started to write individual legislation that regulates the use of their crime databases but its still very much ad-hoc).

Thankfully, I've only had the one background check company flag something to date and Im pretty sure its all cleared up now (if they flag it a 3rd time I may just take them to court as it is a record in a state with penalties for failure to correct incorrect information) but it was still a shock at first and a royal pain to deal with as I had to go and pay to pull my non-existent criminal record from the state in question before they agreed to remove it from the file.

If that wasnt bad enough, when they sent me the written notice for the removal of the record it included the actual records removed: 1 charge was listed as dismissed and the 2nd was listed as still pending trial so no convictions or findings of guilt. I actually felt bad for the guy who's record it actually was after that... I mean, yeah he clearly got himself into a situation that saw him arrested but his entire life from possible living accommodations to career was put in jeopardy because as far as the background check agencies are concerned, its no longer innocent until proven guilty, heck as my case shows its no longer innocent when innocent...

I also had words with the customer service representative for the other background check company over their failure to verify my employment and even told the hiring company that they weren't getting what they paid for. I basically had to run my own background (from a work history perspective at least) and provide it to the background check company

Aparently "no one was reachable" to verify my employment at a multinational $100+Billion company with over 100k employees yet it took me a quick google search to find the main switchboard for the company, 20 minutes on hold transferring from HR dept/rep to HR dept/rep until I got to the correct local office and 10 minutes to explain the situation and give my pertinent details to the rep and then about an hour and half of waiting before I had the information I needed. All told it took about 2 hours (only about 30 minutes of which were spent actively pursuing the info) to get what the background check company claimed they were unable to get in nearly 2 weeks of trying.

Given the size of the company I was willing to overlook that on the assumption they were getting routed to the wrong HR district/division/etc but when they claimed the same thing for another employer with a single location a 10 person HR team and less than 500 employees... That's when I knew they were full of crap.

Just before my run-in that cost me the apartment, my employer at that time asked if I would be willing to be put on a list of people who were checked annually to meet some of our customer's requirements of "routine background checks." I was seriously considering doing it up until I lost the apartment. After I lost the apartment I did some research... There have been more than a few legal proceedings as a result of people, with spotless employment records with their employer, being let go because a routine background check attributed a record to them that wasnt theirs but the employer was unable to disregard from a policy and legal standpoint and the background check company refused to remove. I was glad I didnt volunteer after all or I may have found myself

The long and short of it is, I no longer trust the background check companies as they're in it purely for the money and although my record should be clear, until I hear it from the employer that it cleared, I no longer consider it a done deal as I once did.

I used to think Ive got nothing to hide so Ive got nothing to worry about. Now I realize just how foolhardy that mentality is and not just for things like as simple as a background check... How many people relinquish their 4th and 5th amendment rights on based on a similar thought process? But as they said on Suits a cop follows a car long enough he's gonna find a busted tail light.
    Currently Working On: Openstack
    2020 Goals: AWS/Azure/GCP Certifications, F5 CSE Cloud, SCRUM, CISSP-ISSMP
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    In that situation now where last Friday I received a verbal offer and the HR rep told me they will do a background check first then give me the written offer upon passing and I was glad because I told her that I was going to bring that up as I will not put in my notice before passing the background check (not that there are any issues but as apr911 said things happen).
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I had an offer prior to a background check once. I simply let them know that i would put in my two weeks notice once the background check was complete. They even asked if there was anything to worry about. i simply said i was doing my due diligence. They were cool with it just as any employer should be. As others have said, crazier things have happened. I had a buddy who had a sex offender who had a similar name as him which often caused issues.

I usually do a background check on myself every few years or when im starting a job search just to make sure there is no misinformation there. they can be done for pretty cheap online.
  • Options
    Apr911, scary stuff indeed. I hope yours stays clean! I went and signed up yesterday to start the criminal, credit and drug testing. I went last night to do the drug test so I'm told within a few days everything should come back. I also told them 2 weeks, after the testing is completed/passed, I'd be crushed if I got this far and someone's data entry mistake screwed me.
  • Options
    Semi related, but when I was signing my paperwork, they asked me for my spouses name, the date we got married, and the names and birth dates of any children. That was on their standard paperwork, seemed really strange, maybe it was just a verification of the public record or something. If it was during anything other than paperwork for a background check I'd feel like I was getting my identity stolen.
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    Semi related, but when I was signing my paperwork, they asked me for my spouses name, the date we got married, and the names and birth dates of any children. That was on their standard paperwork, seemed really strange, maybe it was just a verification of the public record or something. If it was during anything other than paperwork for a background check I'd feel like I was getting my identity stolen.

thats interesting. not sure why that would be needed. ive heard of this when going for a security clearance. but not a standard background check.