Options

Training new employees

AlexsmithAlexsmith Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
So I've been training a new employee as a security analyst who just started last week. It's been difficult training him because of his lack of experience in general IT. He has technical writing skills but when explaining technology I usually have to break it down in detail. An example would be earlier I had to break down what a router and switch were on a visio diagram and what their functions were.

He's a good person but I find it's going to take much time to train him up to speed on the technical side (from he ground up) and the manager wants nothing to do with it.how should I handle this situation? It's making my work load heavier since I have the same expectations to finish my audits.

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    If you do not invest time in the beginning six months from now, you will wish this new 'guy' gone...and you will be right back where you are at.

Set up some goals with him/her
    -write down what you expect - ask them for input (that part is important)
    -If they lack a skill, recommend or provide material to readup/practice up on developing that skill and set a time frame.
    -patience.

I know it is difficult, but regardless of how proficient a newbie is, they always have to learn the way of the new company...set goals, explain your role and the need for them to be up and running by 'date, 2014' and that you will continue to mentor. Perhaps you can get someone else to also help mentor, or even your boss by saying, "hey, the new guy is learning 'x' and I'm helping him learn 'y' could he check in with you until he is comfortable?"

Be realistic but self-advocate for your own sake...you will train, but you also need some support for a short period of time.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    AlexsmithAlexsmith Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks that's a good idea, I will set goals with him on his progress. The manger is rarely around as it is so I'm for the most part on my own when it comes to bringing him up to speed.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Yeah, I get you on that 'manager never around bit', but sometimes, just sometimes, you find one who is empathetic and realistic to what is happening and will make themselves more available during the transition, because the better prepared that new employee is, the better your lives become real fast!

At the very least, if you are successful in your 'training', perhaps you can exchange it for some comp-time after that period (like an extra weekend off (no on call work) or an extra day or two or half-day or two just as a 'thank you' for the job well done? Maybe, right? :)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Alexsmith wrote: »
    He's a good person but I find it's going to take much time to train him up to speed on the technical side (from he ground up) and the manager wants nothing to do with it.how should I handle this situation? It's making my work load heavier since I have the same expectations to finish my audits.

If he's a good person and has the desire to learn then that's plenty. Be the mentor you wish you had when you first started in IT. Give him a path, resources, expectations and check in regularly.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    AverageJoeAverageJoe Member Posts: 316 ■■■■□□□□□□
    iBrokeIT wrote: »
    If he's a good person and has the desire to learn then that's plenty. Be the mentor you wish you had when you first started in IT. Give him a path, resources, expectations and check in regularly.

That's exactly right -- perfectly put!