Options

Help Desk Tier 1 Interview

MattyIceVAMattyIceVA Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have an interview next week for a Tier 1 Help Desk position. I have no professional IT experience but in the process of working on my A+ certification. I am curious as to what types of things I should know for the interview. I sure there will be some technical questions asked and just want to make sure that I am prepared. Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Mostly, be personable and if you have any customer service and phone skills, make sure you highlight that. In a tier 1 helpdesk position, technical skills aren't as big as the communication part. Of course, keep studying for your A+ and use what you know and have learned in your studies. Be enthusiastic about the position and how you are able to learn new technology quickly.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    TomkoTechTomkoTech Member Posts: 438
    The technical questions are going to be random. There really is no way to prepare for those. What you can prepare for are the general questions which usually revolve around stress/customer service. For example "Tell me about a time where you had an extremely difficult client/customer. How did you handle that situation?" And the always asked questions like "What are your greatest strengths/weaknesses?"

Just use google and look through listed interview questions commonly asked. Prepare yourself to answer those types of questions as they relate to you and your background.
  • Options
    Thank you guys for the info. I will plan on emphasizing my past customer service experience and hope my A+ training so far will be sufficient. Thanks again!
  • Options
    Definitely research common helpdesk interview questions and try your best to think of examples of those situations in your past work experience so that you can explain why you handle those situations well. Most questions will likely be more directed towards customer service and not so much technical. There will be some, but they also know that they can teach their systems and best practices to new hires, but customer service and people skills are much harder to teach and learn.
  • Options
    I wanted to thank you guys for the advice. You were exactly right. The interview questions were mostly customer service related aside from a couple about my background. I ended up getting an offer letter and on my way to a Help Desk position. Thanks!
  • Options
    ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    Hey, congrats!
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Congrats! Don't forget 10% of your first paycheck comes back to us icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    Congrats on the new job and your entry into the wonderful world of IT. :)