Inbetween Contracts - Advice Needed

bryguybryguy Member Posts: 190
I'm currently in a predicament, and need some advice. Recently, I was subject to a RIF (Reduction in Force) notice due to no fault of my own (my company's contract was awarded to another company). The good news is that I have two jobs lined up- the bad news is that it could be 30-90 days before I can start. My health insurance runs out at the end of the month and I am the sole breadwinner of our family. My question is, do I seek out another job for the purpose of obtaining health insurance, knowing that I'll likely resign in 3 months or are there other options? COBRA seems prohibitly expensive costing over $1k a month. I see open enrollment for the Health Insurance Market Place starts November 15th. Not sure if that's an option or not. I do have some savings that would probably get me by until I start my new job. Anyone been in this scenario that can offer some advice? Thanks, in advance.

Comments

• selenityhyperionselenityhyperion Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I used to work at a place that had insurance... but it cost over half your salary a month! Then I did some research on ehealthinsurance.com until my husband found a full time job and was eligible for insurance. Try them. The prices seem fair and there are MANY options - short term perfect!
    Completed: Starting February 1, 2015
    Needed: C182, EUP1, EUC1, C173, C169, C172, CRV1, C175, C170, TYC1, TYP1, C191, C178, C176, C393, C394, EDV1, TWA1, 3 unkown course numbers
    Transferred: BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, CJC1, IWC1, CLC1, IWT1, BNC1, C278, C164, C132 (33)
  • tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    bryguy wrote: »
    COBRA seems prohibitly expensive costing over $1k a month.
    I've never understood this. You are in position of losing your primary source of income and this continuation of coverage that is priced above some people's mortgage is supposed to be considered a viable option?
    Then I did some research on ehealthinsurance.com

Is this a legitimate alternative to company sponsored health care? I pay a ridiculous amount of money in health insurance for my family, about $900/month. The worst part is since it is global coverage, everything in the states is still expensive. I lied, the worst part is if I opt out of the coverage then I'm automatically enrolled in their "catastrophic event" coverage at just a smidge over $1k.
    Since most employers offer health insurance, as a whole or subsidizing, as part of their compensation package, I wonder if you opted out of their coverage if you could shift what they would have been paying for premium into your pay.

What a racket. Talking about health insurance makes my blood boil.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • selenityhyperionselenityhyperion Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It is. Most of the people at that place used it to find their insurance. It just listed the different health care plans. Of course the more affordable ones are high deductible and not as many benefits but for some people that is their only option for insurance. I'm lucky that I have Walmart's insurance. My husband won't leave Walmart because of the fact that the insurance is so good and affordable. It kinda makes up for the lower end pay.
    Completed: Starting February 1, 2015
    Needed: C182, EUP1, EUC1, C173, C169, C172, CRV1, C175, C170, TYC1, TYP1, C191, C178, C176, C393, C394, EDV1, TWA1, 3 unkown course numbers
    Transferred: BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, CJC1, IWC1, CLC1, IWT1, BNC1, C278, C164, C132 (33)
  • LinuxNerdLinuxNerd Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I went a decade without health insurance. Just eat a healthy diet, reduce stress, and don't do anything crazy and you'll be good.

A lot of doctors charge a small fee for non insurance, it's really not that bad for a short period.
  • tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    LinuxNerd wrote: »
    I went a decade without health insurance. Just eat a healthy diet, reduce stress, and don't do anything crazy and you'll be good.

A lot of doctors charge a small fee for non insurance, it's really not that bad for a short period.

I'm guessing you don't have kids.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    LinuxNerd wrote: »

This is fine until something catastrophic happens. I've saw a guy get wiped out from a car accident which he broke his leg. He was able to sue, but he was hit buy a guy with no car insurance, so due to the laws at the time he could only get a percentage of the guys salary which only amounted to a few hundred bucks, then the guy filed for bankruptcy and he got nothing. He was left with the medical bills and had to file for bankruptcy himself which he still had to pay medical, but lost a lot of his assets in the process. Now this is an extreme case, but it has nothing to do with diet, and eating healthy.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • tkerbertkerber Member Posts: 223
    tprice5 wrote: »
    I'm guessing you don't have kids.

I think you'd be right! But beyond this I don't know what small fee you all are talking about. An office visit without insurance anywhere in my area is at least $150.. If you need blood tests or x-rays you might as well start filling for bankruptcy..

I'm a perfectly fit and healthy 21 year old male who exercises and eats quite healthy. Last year my appendix ruptured in the office.... Went to ER, blood tests, CAT scan, followed by emergency surgery at 1:00AM. $26,000 worth of operations costed me $1,000.. If I didn't have insurance I would be in some financial waters right now.
  • bryguybryguy Member Posts: 190
    After doing some research, I think I'll sign the kids up for CHIP and then get my wife and I enrolled using the Health Insurance Market Place. Hopefully that'll get us through the next few months. Thanks for the input all... was going to see if I could get by with a lapse of a month or two, but between potential car accidents, and potential appendix ruptures, I think I've been talked out of it.