Options

MS from Georgia Tech Difficulty?

CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
Anyone have any insight on the actual difficulty of the MS from GT?

I am looking at MS:IAS from WGU but the degree in CS from GT seems like a super deal for a great all online degree. My question is how difficult will the degree be? I have time and energy for the degree from WGU, but a highly mathematics/Technical focused degree might be a little more than I can manage with a full time job and kids...

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    Khaos1911Khaos1911 Member Posts: 366
    I'm right there with you. I'm trying to decide between Georgia Tech, WGU, and Univ of South Florida. I'm heavily leaning towards the online MS in Cyber Security at USF.
  • Options
    ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    Curious how tough the math is as well. I'll be going for the MSCS sooner or later.
  • Options
    da_vatoda_vato Member Posts: 445
    Are you referring to the masters in Computer Science? If so is your undergrad in Computer Science?
  • Options
    tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    Cyberscum wrote: »
    Anyone have any insight on the actual difficulty of the MS from GT?

The research I have done on it says that it is a fairly difficult program. If you do not have a BS in CS or a background in programming than this will likely be very difficult for you. Check out the OMSCS Subreddit for discussions and questions.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Sounds like a good reason to join the program.
  • Options
    N2IT wrote: »
    Sounds like a good reason to join the program.

Assuming you are replying to me, if not apologies, but you don't enroll in a masters program as a introduction to a topic. There's is a reason they prefer CS graduates.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    tprice5 wrote: »
    Assuming you are replying to me, if not apologies, but you don't enroll in a masters program as a introduction to a topic. There's is a reason they prefer CS graduates.

@ the OP
  • Options
    I am just trying to get the most technical degree for the money....But no so technical I have to give up my life lol.
  • Options
    LauraMalaveLauraMalave Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    MSCS is more theoretical and research based than the others. Highly mathematical. I have MSCS from USF with BSCS. Math in BS was through Calc 3, Discrete Math, and Probability.
  • Options
    Highly mathematical.
    From what I have researched and read, OMSCS math requirement isn't too intense. Someone else feel free to chime in and correct me if I'm misremembering.
    WGU MSISA
  • Options
    Khaos1911Khaos1911 Member Posts: 366
    MSCS is more theoretical and research based than the others. Highly mathematical. I have MSCS from USF with BSCS. Math in BS was through Calc 3, Discrete Math, and Probability.

I could of swore that I read the Fall 2014 is the first (ever) semester of the MSCS @Univ of South Florida.
  • Options

Oh Calc 3, Dis and Prob... Pssshh, I thought it was going to be difficult.
  • Options
    da_vatoda_vato Member Posts: 445
    I was under the same impression as tprice5, I thought the intensive math portions were in the undergrad. I thought MSCS programs were more focused on a deeper understanding of subjects such as, algorithms and data structures, as opposed mathematical reasoning.
  • Options
    That is the new MS in Cyber Security.
  • Options
    That was the math in the BS degree.