Options

Move from Enterprise to Pre/Post Sales & Consulting?

darkerzdarkerz Member Posts: 431 ■■■■□□□□□□
Dilemma.

Potential move from Enterprise Networking to Pre/Post Sales & Consulting

I've been doing this Network, Security and Etc. engineering thing for a few years, mostly on contracts to learn and grow. Always as a MSP or Internal IT 'Engineer.

Pro: Opportunity for a Pre & Post Sales role has arisen- increased business acumen, connections, sales and management exposure. Bonuses and full-time benefits. More responsibility. Light on travel, Fortune 50 clients in my region.

Con: My precious Cisco, Juniper, Arista, Firewall and Network-Heavy knowledge could be at risk in exchange for a SME level, strong focus on Layer 4-7 optimization, application engines, DDoS mitigation, TCP and SSL optimization, LB'ing, IPv4/6 CGN, etc. Some travel expected.

Has anyone made the jump, specifically from Network focused Engineering to Pre & Post Sales Engineering and Design in the Application centric space?

Thanks
:twisted:

Comments

• Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    darkerz wrote: »
    Dilemma.

Potential move from Enterprise Networking to Pre/Post Sales & Consulting

I've been doing this Network, Security and Etc. engineering thing for a few years, mostly on contracts to learn and grow. Always as a MSP or Internal IT 'Engineer.

Pro: Opportunity for a Pre & Post Sales role has arisen- increased business acumen, connections, sales and management exposure. Bonuses and full-time benefits. More responsibility. Light on travel, Fortune 50 clients in my region.

Con: My precious Cisco, Juniper, Arista, Firewall and Network-Heavy knowledge could be at risk in exchange for a SME level, strong focus on Layer 4-7 optimization, application engines, DDoS mitigation, TCP and SSL optimization, LB'ing, IPv4/6 CGN, etc. Some travel expected.

Has anyone made the jump, specifically from Network focused Engineering to Pre & Post Sales Engineering and Design in the Application centric space?

Thanks

Been in the space for years and havent looked back. Depeneding on the job you could have the chance to grow those skills. Plus you get the opportunity to see how many different fortune 50 companies do things and solve problems. that is very valuable experience.

There are SOOOOO many pre/post sales jobs out there you should be able to find one that leverages and allows you to hone those skills and gain new ones. Post sales may be the easiest to transition into as its usually more technical than pre sales. But dont get it twisted. Pre sales positions are usually still very technical with the added benefit being you dont have to do the support side and you usually get paid more.

Give it a try. i think you will like it. And if you dont you should still gain some valuable experience(and contacts gained from networking with fortune 50 clients) to assist you when you go back to the enterprise side.

Good luck.
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    I did do the full change that you did, but I have only worked in post sales since my 1st engineering role(outside of 1 enterprise job). I wouldn't even look back. More money, You really see what you are made of, and you are always on the cutting edge.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related