Options

Thinking about taking a break....

sysguysysguy Member Posts: 7 ■■■□□□□□□□
A little background first..
CCNA, MCSA: server 2008, Linux+, CCNA:sec, and about 2 terms left for my Bachelors.
I started my career as Intern for about 4 months at one company then landed a gig for a systems admin at another. I have been with this company for about one year at the end of December.

Beginning January I start what I hope to be my last term for my bachelors, so my question is, how will quitting my job to finish my last term affect me? With only one year and a few months experience I am scared I may not be able to find another job. I took me a while to get my foot in the door. Its not just about finishing school, I have some travel plans and family thing I would like to take care of during my last term and start looking for another job in the summer.

Comments

• Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    depends on where you live at and the job market and most important your current experience level. Your college should be able to help you out with some placements.

One thing you can do to tied you over is to open up your own LLC. You can try to get some side work during your last term. Even if you only land 1 gig or your only playing around with AWS instances online you can jot it down as work with a real company and real job title. I've done that for years to explain employment gaps and it never was an issue.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    As shodown said, it depends, but I wouldn't do it. I have some experience on my resume that was working for myself, its almost never looked at as a positive because so many people use it as a cover for just not working. Are you unable to finish school while working or is it just a stress? Maybe you can finish then find a job put ask for 3+ weeks time before starting and travel then?
  • Options
    snunez889snunez889 Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It was a passing thought. Not really stressed, just wanted to spend time traveling to visit brothers in other states. My schooling is online, so I wanted to stay a few weeks with some family the go to another and so on for six months.
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    snunez889 wrote: »
    It was a passing thought. Not really stressed, just wanted to spend time traveling to visit brothers in other states. My schooling is online, so I wanted to stay a few weeks with some family the go to another and so on for six months.
    life is short. go live your life. you have the rest of your life to work!
  • Options
    apr911apr911 Member Posts: 380 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Shodown has an excellent idea with establishing your own LLC and free-lancing for a bit but assuming you started putting the leg work together now for your own LLC and assuming you want to return to "normal" work in July, the 6-8 months you'll have under the LLC might be a bit short to not raise a few eye-brows or questions.

Using an LLC to fill gaps in the resume is something many of us, myself included, have done but you need to devote some time to it to build your "brand" before you can really use it to fill a gap without it raising too many questions and of course, I would not advise saying you worked for yourself as an LLC doing contractual work if you did not actually take on some contracts.

So what should you do? Echoing what has already been said, it depends. It depends not only on your experience, where you live and the current job market but it also depends on your current job, what it offers/affords you and how it plays into your long term goals.

From an experience/job market perspective:
    If you're currently working junior helpdesk type role, I wouldnt be too concerned about leaving your current position. Those positions are often a bit of a revolving door and though there is no guarantee there will be positions available, its likely you'll have no problem picking up a position in 6-8 months.

If you're in a more senior type role that is currently in demand (which it doesnt sound like you are but I offer this up for those who might be facing similar questions that are), chances are in 6-8 months, you still will be and even if you dont have an LLC to cover the 6 month gap, employers arent likely to disqualify you for taking a 6 month sabbatical to finish your degree/travel/pursue other non-work related goals/etc as long as you did something with that time. IT is well known for seismic shifts but unless your skills are already trending downward employment-wise, even a drastic change is unlikely to hurt your job prospects that significantly 6 months from now. You'll have to prove that you're still on top of your game so to speak, you might have to spend some more time job hunting and you may end up not making quite as much but ultimately, I dont think you'll be in too bad of a position.

Which brings us to the last category... The no-mans-land of Senior Helpdesk to Junior and even mid-level Sys Admins. Certain fields (networking in particular comes to mind) will have no problem finding a new position but Windows/Linux admins are more likely to have to sweat it out a bit and unlike the first 2 instances that are less impacted by the economy, the availability of mid-level roles will definitely be very dependent on the economy (both in your local area and on a more global scale). In addition to the increased competition for these roles and any contributing economic factors, you'll also have to prove you're still on top of your game and you may end up having to take less of a paycheck just like the senior role, unlike the senior role however, the paycut may make a significant difference. Taking a paycut tends to be a lot easier when you're making well above your minimum living requirement than it is when you're just barely at or above your minimum living requirement.

From a perspective of your current position and what it affords you:

If you are working in a job you like, in an area you want to stay in and at a salary you are happy with, you may want to see if your job will allow you to take an unpaid leave of absence so you may finish school. If you have good performance history and relationship with your superiors, chances are they'll be willing to work something out. Since its not a medical or military leave of absence there is no protection or guarantee that in 6-8 months they'll let you come back but chances are generally good if you negotiate it correctly (establish a firm end date [on your part] for your leave while allowing some flexibility on the employers part in case they cant immediately take you back). Note this really only works if you are in the mid-to-senior levels and more than likely salaried. If you're an hourly junior helpdesk they're unlikely to grant a leave of absence but see above about the "revolving door" of helpdesk.

Ultimately, its up to you what you want to do. There's plenty of risks involved with quitting outright and how those risks affect you depends on your personal situation. It sounds like you're young, single and really just starting out in your career. If I were in your position, I would go for it. Take off, finish school, get some traveling in. Sort of how a Sr Admin can take a sabbatical every now and again without anyone blinking an eye, no one is likely to begrudge you for taking off for 6 months to finish school and see some of the world before settling down and embarking on your career journey.
    Currently Working On: Openstack
    2020 Goals: AWS/Azure/GCP Certifications, F5 CSE Cloud, SCRUM, CISSP-ISSMP
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Unless you are independently wealthy or hate your current job I would not suggest it You indicate the desire to travel and I can't argue with that however you will have more options to travel in the future with a successful career. Most members seem to feel getting your foot in the door is the hardest part so I would not throw that away at this critical time in your life. Good Luck!
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Myself when I was in school, I was working some contracts for good companies and found one that would have realy allowed me to grow. I got to my last semester and really wanted to focus on school to finish strong (Got a 3.6 GPA overall and all A's in my final classes) and I decided to stop working during that time. Wow... What a freaking mistake I made. When I graduated I spent 3 months trying to find another job in IT and it was extremely difficult. The only things I could get at that time were short 1 week contracts here and there until I finally moved to another city after I found a job there. Not only was my pay less, it was in a dead end position that had zero hope of ever being promoted. 6 months later I left that job and found another that was better, but definitely not exactly what I was looking for either. Fast forward a couple of years and I relocated again (with my at the time Fiance) and found a great job doing what I wanted and really grew during that time professionally and personally.

If I could have done it over again, I probably would have stayed working that last semester, and may have taken a slight hit on my grades but still graduated with over a 3.5 GPA but I would have had my foot in the door to really move up and would have been further ahead today had I stayed working.

Now, will your story go the same way mine did? Maybe. But it's a risk that you have to take if you are truly set on traveling the last 6 months. I guess my question to ask is, are you willing to lose this job and potential career growth for 6 months of travel? It may set you behind and you may have difficulties finding another Sys Admin job as many places don't hire unless someone has 3 years minimum in that role if they were to consider them.
  • Options
    sysguysysguy Member Posts: 7 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys, alot of good advice for me to think about. I think one of the biggest factors is im starting to feel like I dont enjoy the place where im working. I have out grown what I can learn here and find myself bored, maybe its time to move on from here and start looking for a job elsewhere. It seems like it might be in my best interest to continue working and gaining experience, especially so early in my career.