Options

Finding an IT job in the Public Sector?

Bchen22Bchen22 Banned Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
How can I find a public sector IT jobs specifically doing desktop support or being an IT FIeld Tech? I wanna work for the federal or government? Where can I find these kind of jobs? I want to get out of the private sector. I live in CA

Comments

• Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    usajobs.gov would be the first place I would look.
  • Options
    jamthatjamthat Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The sad truth in my experience: know or meet someone
  • Options
    NersesianNersesian Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Fair warning...many federal agencies use usajobs.org as a dumping ground for positions they already have someone slotted for but have to conform to the public posting compliance requirement. That said, outside of applying directly with the organization, there isn't a much better way to apply for the positions. If you're going that route, there are a few best practices you need to know about.

If you're not former military, you're going to get bumped to the bottom of the stack. No shade in that statement, you just are.
    Obama push to hire veterans into federal jobs spurs resentment - Nation - The Boston Globe

Be prepared for roughly four months to be placed, unless you need a security clearance. Then, go ahead and tack on another 4 months or so.
    Federal Eye - Average time to hire new federal workers improves

Federal gigs have a self scoring process which ranks your ability to perform X job. Better be ok with possibly embellishing some of your credentials.
    Are You Guilty? The Federal Jobseeker and Deflating Questionnaire Responses : FedSmith.com

A few other issues with the federal hiring process for good measure:
    Opinion: Ten Problems With How The Government Hires It's Employees

So, what's the answer? I would focus on some of the larger contractors (defense or otherwise) in your area and try and get on with with them. They may not have better benefits, days off or improved workload, but you might get the experience to become one of those people "in the know" who seemingly have a dedicated track for unlimited employment. Be forewarned - many contractors have upped their program requirements to include either a TS or TS-SCI clearance which can take some time. If you've got anything lurking around in a closet you thought was closed, they'll find it eventually.

If you're focused on direct federal employment, a few guidelines might help:
    - Be patient...for all the reasons above.
    - Do not take the shotgun approach and apply for everything under the sun. There are several agencies which cross report and can make for an awkward conversation if you have a few versions of your resume.
    - Answer all the questions asked in the space and manner in which was provided and/or requested. Do not give them a reason to round file your application.
    - Keywords, keywords keywords. Know many federal agencies use OCR to sort your application. Do a little research on how to game these systems.
    - Get acquainted with the Taleo system. It sucks, but keep answering the repetitive questions when applying.
    - For god sakes, show up on time. If you're not former military, know you're going into a work environment where most folks are either ex or reservists. They like their cheese right where its at thank you very much.
    http://www.amazon.com/Who-Moved-My-Cheese-Amazing/dp/0399144463

Federal employees get a bad rap, but the vast majority are good people trying to do their jobs and get one day closer to retirement. One person in a department can completely trash morale though and its not always easy to get rid of an underperforming employee. Why? Well, that would mean the whole recruitment process is broken and we can't have that now can we? You have a better chance of being struck by lightning that dismissing a one leg, minority veteran who can't do their job as long as they show up on time.
  • Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Don't forget to check out Colleges and School Districts. These places usually have good job security and a nice work/life balance. Plus usually good benefits, but you may have to sacrifice in pay though some pay decent to well.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    I have to ask are you sure you want to do this? Do you know any one in the public sector that can let you know what its like? I use to want a public sector job and I had them and they sucked my soul away. Your milage may vary, but know what your getting into.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Having worked for a contract company for the government, it really wasn't all that it was cracked up to be. If you enjoy and love downtime, political games, and all around laziness, then Public sector is for you. Sure, I had my clearance, and that was great, but it was the most boring, draining job I've ever had. (Damn near lost my contract because I had firefox on my computer, and it wasn't "approved" software)

The games people there play is downright stupid, and the procedures to get anything changed is not fun either. I honestly could count on both of my hands times where I had a week of no work to do because everyone else wasn't working and in turn, not breaking things for me to fix. They move at a different pace because they know that unless they screw up horribly, they have their job until retirement and get great benefits.
  • Options
    NersesianNersesian Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Having worked for a contract company for the government, it really wasn't all that it was cracked up to be. If you enjoy and love downtime, political games, and all around laziness, then Public sector is for you. Sure, I had my clearance, and that was great, but it was the most boring, draining job I've ever had. (Damn near lost my contract because I had firefox on my computer, and it wasn't "approved" software)

The games people there play is downright stupid, and the procedures to get anything changed is not fun either. I honestly could count on both of my hands times where I had a week of no work to do because everyone else wasn't working and in turn, not breaking things for me to fix. They move at a different pace because they know that unless they screw up horribly, they have their job until retirement and get great benefits.

Truth right here.

- downtime
    Sure, sign me up.

- political games
    I like Risk...wait, what?

- all around laziness
    No bueno

- Damn near lost my contract because I had firefox on my computer, and it wasn't "approved" software
    I spent a good six months of my life constructing an all encompassing approved, not approved, supported and not supported software list that was woefully out of date the second I submitted the final revision.