Options

Two weeks notice

--chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
A coworker put in his two weeks yesterday, and shortly after he was terminated. It was pretty civil, I imagine he saw it coming and understands why. My employer announced it today and said simply they have had bad experiences in the past with employees putting in their two weeks then "poisoning" the environment and/or trying to steal clients.

My question:

Since giving your two weeks is becoming more like "terminate me now", how do you guys approach resigning? Do you put the two weeks in expecting to get fired on the spot? Do you not put two weeks in and just walk out on your last day and let them know at that point?

Comments

• Options
    aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I haven't done this yet and don't plan to anytime soon, but if and when I get to the point where I am ready to move on, I will put in my two weeks and fully expect to go home that day.
    CCIE Security - this one might take a while...
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I currently work in a small company where I'm hoping to put in my 2 weeks within the next few days. I'd be happy if they told me to go home I'd relax for the next 2 weeks, hah. But, I know the owner is going to flip out, then he's going to stress like crazy for the next 2 weeks and make things difficult, so no leaving early for me this time.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I gave notice at my old job two weeks ago. Only gave them one week as I wanted to take 1 week off before the new gig started, little did i know they would dismiss me on the spot. If I knew I would've put in my two weeks. Oh well! Missed one full week of paid vacation.
  • Options
    pevangelpevangel Member Posts: 342
    I gather all my personal stuffs and put them in the car before I submit my two weeks.
  • Options
    BerkshireHerdBerkshireHerd Member Posts: 185
    Luckily here, once your terminated or quit, they legally have to still pay all available vacation time as it is considered part of your compensation
    Identity & Access Manager // B.A - Marshall University 2005
  • Options
    da_vatoda_vato Member Posts: 445
    This is a rather ironic thread… I had someone give me a two weeks’ notice earlier today. He asked me this same question because some places do terminate on the spot. I had told him that it would be ok to finish out the time and transition everything over.

Well, my boss (and her boss) did not feel the same as I did. She wants him gone quicker than that and is giving to the end of the week. This is primarily due to type of environment that we work in otherwise she would have said not to come back in tomorrow.

There is a back story to this that I will not share here, however, I fully believe this all dependent upon the person quitting and the rapport with their management. I intend to give as much prior knowledge of my departure when the time comes as I possibly can. I can see how every should probably take this into consideration when looking to move on to other jobs regardless if for career progression or bad working conditions.

So to answer the original question I think this depends on your standing with the company. If you are highly depended upon and it’s a great atmosphere I say give a proper two weeks notice. If you are just another body or it is a tense atmosphere go put your stuff in you car like pevangel (I love this answer by the way) then give your notice.
  • Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    --chris-- wrote: »
    A coworker put in his two weeks yesterday, and shortly after he was terminated. It was pretty civil, I imagine he saw it coming and understands why. My employer announced it today and said simply they have had bad experiences in the past with employees putting in their two weeks then "poisoning" the environment and/or trying to steal clients.

My question:

Since giving your two weeks is becoming more like "terminate me now", how do you guys approach resigning? Do you put the two weeks in expecting to get fired on the spot? Do you not put two weeks in and just walk out on your last day and let them know at that point?

That's a very unprofessional move on the part of the company, especially since he gave them two weeks notice which is customary. I certainly hope they're paying him for those 2 weeks, since he probably won't be making money at his new position at least until being employed for 2 weeks, which would mean he lost 4 weeks worth of pay. Now you know what you're in for when you're ready to leave that company.

When I give my two weeks notice, I usually type up a letter to the manager I'm working for stating how I appreciate the opportunity with the company, how much I've learned, and how its impacted my career in a positive way, then sign it. You never want to burn bridges with employers unless you have to or they're absolute jerks, because you may end up working with them or for them again somewhere down the road.

Unfortunately, I had to give a 1 day notice (I don't really care to work at that company ever again) and walked out that day with my previous employer (a better opportunity came up with a time crunch for a decision), but I was on good terms with the manager and he said I could use him as a reference anyway. So it can go either way based on the relationship you have with your manager.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    pevangel wrote: »
    I gather all my personal stuffs and put them in the car before I submit my two weeks.

basically!

and i'd love for a job to let me go right away, but they better pay my 2 weeks tho...
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Verities wrote: »
    That's a very unprofessional move on the part of the company, especially since he gave them two weeks notice which is customary. I certainly hope they're paying him for those 2 weeks, since he probably won't be making money at his new position at least until being employed for 2 weeks, which would mean he lost 4 weeks worth of pay. Now you know what you're in for when you're ready to leave that company.

I don't have a problem with employers terminating on the spot. I feel bad for those who don't know this can happen, but at the end of the day everyone looks out for #1. They have good legitimate reasons for not letting people stay on after they give notice, especially the position this person held...the opportunity to sabotage or otherwise negatively impact the business was very real.

I think I am of the mindset that if you are putting in your two weeks you have already quit. If they let you stay or make you go after that, it should not matter.
  • Options
    certoicertoi Member Posts: 28 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It all depends on the company's policy, if they strongly enforce their policy and your stance with management. I recently resigned from a 7 year job and worked right up to my last day and was still getting counter offers from my manager but my mind had already made up and I respectfully declined. I strongly think working through out your 2 weeks notice is dependent on your working environment ( like my first sentence) and how you are viewed by your management within that environment.
  • Options
    VerbatimVerbatim Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    To echo the it depends on your relationship theme, I am soon to be leaving my position to relocate to Massachussets. My supervisor is very supportive of this move and has told me to drop my notice when I have my firm start date at my new place of work. There isn't any hard feelings and he wrote me a great reference letter as well, but I do know my situation may be in the minority on this. I plan on working up to the end when I do drop notice and then cashing out my vacation to help have some transition padding in the bank account.

Just be professional, write a formal intent to seperate letter and prepare for the worst, but hope for the best.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Absolutely prepare. This is key. By the time I submit my resignation all devices assigned to me have been sanitized and all of my company owned equipment is with me, just in case.
  • Options
    MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Verities wrote: »
    I certainly hope they're paying him for those 2 weeks, since he probably won't be making money at his new position at least until being employed for 2 weeks, which would mean he lost 4 weeks worth of pay.

I may be wrong, but I believe they would legally be required to pay you for the next two weeks.
  • Options
    Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    It really depends of the company and the work relationship you have with them. For example, I gave my 2 weeks for my new job and they had me working late until the last date completing projects. Some of my coworkers said that was ridiculous and they shouldn't let someone who gave his 2 weeks make any changes.
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • Options
    tkerbertkerber Member Posts: 223
    That's interesting... I've never had an employer terminate me on the spot, in fact it's usually opposite. I usually get counter offers and ask for me to stay a little longer. I at the very least give two weeks and sometimes I've given even more because I always like leaving on a good note and if the new employer doesn't need me right away it just looks good. I've never negatively influenced clients on my way out or anything like that.
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I always am of the mindset that I will work the last 2 weeks when I give my notice, and should they change their mind and terminate me on the spot I'm already packed up and ready to go. In all the positions that I have left in the past none of them terminated me on the spot. I've seen some in these organizations that have, but they were in different roles and had a rather large customer facing position and they didn't want any poaching to go on in that time frame. Of course, prior to giving in your notice, I always sanitize and remove/backup any personal info I may have on those devices.