Options

VMware EVO RAIL

mataimatai Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
Looks like VMware has copied Nutanix and come out with their own converged solution for VMs:

"VMware EVO: RAIL™ combines VMware compute, networking, and storage resources into a hyper-converged infrastructure appliance to create a simple, easy to deploy, all-in-one solution offered by our partners. - See more at: http://www.vmware.com/products/evorail#sthash.7Xn5Bkgw.dpuf"

VMware EVO RAIL Overview | United States

I personally think Nutanix is a great solution and am not surprised that VMware decided to do this, I like the competition. I've "heard" that Google and Amazon have their own solution that's similar, but can't confirm that.

What do you guys think of this converged architecture style? I recently read that Nutanix is expanding a ton at Redstone Arsenal in Alabama so I think it's catching on. I also wonder if VMware will release a certification path for the EVO RAIL.
Current: CISM, CISA, CISSP, SSCP, GCIH, GCWN, C|EH, VCP5-DCV, VCP5-DT, CCNA Sec, CCNA R&S, CCENT, NPP, CASP, CSA+, Security+, Linux+, Network+, Project+, A+, ITIL v3 F, MCSA Server 2012 (70-410, 70-411, 74-409), 98-349, 98-361, 1D0-610, 1D0-541, 1D0-520
In Progress: ​Not sure...

Comments

• Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    I attended a call on this and from what I could tell, this product is aimed at customers who have money, have multiple sites, but don't have vcenter/HCL expertise. It's essentially upselling the build as a service and winning you as a customer with the least possible learning curve without dedicated engineer involvement.

Having said that, they did say that you don't have to use the software it comes with... you can buy the hardware and connect it all to your own vcenter.