Options

nervous about starting IT career.

bookishspiderbookishspider Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have never been very confident in myself and I have always have been scared to fail. I am currently working full time at a factory which I feel very comfortable with obviously because it is an easy job; but the pay isn't enough to live a comfortable life and support a family. I am also going to school part-time at my local community college. I'm pursuing a degree associates applied science networking. Which is suppose to get me prepared for a job in the tech field. I don't feel like I have retained all the information I have been taught. All I can truly remember is the basics hardware and software stuff. I feel a little more comfortable with the networking stuff but still don't feel truly comfortable to go out and get a job in the tech field. I only have 5 classes left before I graduate and I'm trying to review all of the content I have learned with proffesser messer but still have that mind set of what if I fail, what if the tech world isn't for me. I love computers and doing the labs at school but I don't know if I truly have what it takes.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    It might not be for you. You might fail miserably. You'll never know until you get out there and give it your best shot though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    It's always nerve wracking when breaking into a new field. Just review the job listing as far as what the position calls for and study up on that as best you can. Confidence will be a big factor and you need to set your head right prior to the interview and be confident that you can learn and do the job. Now, being that it will be an entry level type of position, they will know that as a recent graduate you don't have the real world experience, but they can teach that. Be personable and confident in your ability to learn and what you do know. I know that after I graduated, I didn't have any experience (very little actually) but I stressed my strengths and was able to turn that into a job. Interviewers can usually sniff out a lack of confidence and it may turn them off. So set your head straight before the interview, and honestly, don't wait until you have your degree if you are close to graduation to look for that opportunity and put out your resume now and start looking. That way, you'll have at worst some interview experience, and at best you will have a job that you will already be working at.
  • Options
    Yeah I just over think things sometimes... I do that even with my cisco hands on finals but end up doing good so I guess your right I just need to go out there and give them my best shot...
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Just think of what is the worst that can happen? No matter what, you'll get the interview experience and can learn off of that should you not get the job. And hey, one of these times you will get the job. Be confident and be yourself and you'll be just fine.
  • Options
    Yeah your right... Thanks so much for the reply..
  • Options
    tkerbertkerber Member Posts: 223
    Your first IT job isn't going to be all about your technical skills. I would focus on soft skills and talking to people, if you're nervous it will show in the interview. I too was a grad not long ago and felt similar to you--like I didn't know everything I wanted to know. However, in this field a degree is a credential that will help you get your foot in the door and have a basic understanding to build on. Your degree poured you the foundation, now you have to design and build the building that is your career..
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    Wish I had a nickel for ever time I said these words on this forum...can't make an omelet without breaking an egg pal, get out there and give it shot.
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    snunez889snunez889 Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was in the same boat as you 2 years ago... I had always liked computers and tech but never really jumped into it. When I was going through my AS I never felt like I knew much and always doubted myself. I look at myself 2 years ago and I can see that I have grown alot, but I still consider myself a rookie.

In this field theres to much to learn over night, with time and experience will come knowledge. You just have to have the will to push yourself out there and learn as much as you can.

Keep studying and move forward and you will see you knowledge grow overtime.
  • Options
    @ snunez889 how long did it take you to earn all of those certs? did you start out with the A+? Also where did you start out as far as jobs to gain experience? Did you do any internships while in school? Thanks for the replys guys appreciat it....
  • Options
    philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    I have never been very confident in myself and I have always have been scared to fail. I am currently working full time at a factory which I feel very comfortable with obviously because it is an easy job; but the pay isn't enough to live a comfortable life and support a family. I am also going to school part-time at my local community college. I'm pursuing a degree associates applied science networking. Which is suppose to get me prepared for a job in the tech field. I don't feel like I have retained all the information I have been taught. All I can truly remember is the basics hardware and software stuff. I feel a little more comfortable with the networking stuff but still don't feel truly comfortable to go out and get a job in the tech field. I only have 5 classes left before I graduate and I'm trying to review all of the content I have learned with proffesser messer but still have that mind set of what if I fail, what if the tech world isn't for me. I love computers and doing the labs at school but I don't know if I truly have what it takes.

I can guarantee one thing. If you do nothing you have failed. Your hit rate (what we in sales call the % of having a positive result, closing the deal) is 0% if you do nothing. So literally, anything you do is better then 0%.

You say your pay is not enough, so with average IT pay around 40k and starting pay around 12/hr. You literally have nothing to loose.

First off, lets exam the facts.

1) You know how to use a web forum. I sat on a plane with a lady who handed me her credit card because she couldn't figure out how to logon to the in-flight internet....

2) You can write and spell... A lot of people can't! Communication skills are invaluable. I mean, I'm in a masters program and I still make written mistakes. You'd be surprised how many people connect with me on LinkedIn ask me career advice and can't spell worth a damn....

3) Your going to school... Most don't, plus you've worked a hands on labor job so whether you say it is easy or not you can buck up, show up on time, and you can work with your hands. I cut my teeth on 120 degree rooftops pulling wire way before I hit my current job.

4) It's natural to have fear. People break into two main groups when it comes to disposition. You either are afraid to fail or have an irrational sense of success. I fall into the irrational sense of success group, neither are good. I have gotten myself in trouble because I thought I could do stuff I clearly wasn't skilled for... On the other hand, my brother, let me shoot you straight, basic IT stuff. Well, its just not that hard. I know it seems like vodoo magic on the outside, but really its problem solving. Have you problem solved in your current role? Most people are uncomfortable with IT because its not (typically) do task A, do task B, rinse repeat.

IT typically requires research, and intuition to solve problems. If you can Google, read, and build a solid network of folks you'll be fine.

Read up on Henry Ford, illiterate, finished 4th grade, invented the automobile, billionaire....
  • Options
    snunez889snunez889 Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @ snunez889 how long did it take you to earn all of those certs? did you start out with the A+? Also where did you start out as far as jobs to gain experience? Did you do any internships while in school? Thanks for the replys guys appreciat it....

I started with my A+ and kept working, I got all my certs before I landed my first job. I would get calls for interviews but I had no luck, I did learn alot by going to interviews. I would get stumped by a questions they would ask and I would go home and read up on the subject. Kept getting certs while waiting to get my foot in the door.

I eventually landed an intern position which pay next to nothing, I was making more at my non IT job. I took the chance and really enjoy working there, but I kept learning and studying. A few months later I got offered a job elsewhere, which I took am currently at.

I was a hard process to get here and I still have some ways to go, Knowledge will come with time. The best thing to do is to get involved in the IT world(coming here is a good step), lab at home, build stuff. Get stuck and search for answers.
  • Options
    I just wanted to say I still come back and look at this thread to help keep me moving forward..I should be finally done with my classes after this fall....Its been a long journey trying to work full time at a factory and take classes at the same time...I have had many scheduling conflicts and even a couple degree changes but hopefully all of this hard work will pay off... Thanks for all the replys it truly makes me feel better to vent on these forums...lol
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com