Options

VMware 5.0 Free to Hyper-V Checklist

DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
Hey guys,

So tomorrow night I'm doing a conversion for a customer since they can't afford VMware licensing but have a 2012 R2 Enterprise license so were going the Hyper-V approach. It's not what I want to do but it's what we got....

so this is my steps process, if any one knows a better process let me know.

1) I have a Seagate 4 TB Ethernet NAS all setup with a lun mapping to a folder share with network configured for there LAN.
2) installed vSphere cleint on my work laptop.
3 ) initialize ISCSI initiator on my laptop to the NAS's IP address and connect to the folder share.
4) connect to the VMware 5.0 free server via the vSphere client.
5) navigate to the datastore and find the VM folder.
6) download the said folder to the folder share on the NAS.

(I'm doing the above process so I have a 1 to 1 copy of the VM folder on the NAS to convert from this to the Hyper-V server just in-case the conversion fucks up we still have a working esxi host, totally overkill but its a customers data so necessary)

7) go home and let it transfer the 750 MB VM folder to the NAS overnight.
icon_cool.gif rev up MVMC and point to the NAS's folder and move it to the Hyper-V server.
9) wait a few hours....
10) spin up the VM in the Hyper-v server and change the Netbios settings, networking config and just make sure things are working correctly.

Did I miss anything?

Comments

• Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    A good watch if you haven't already...

VMware to Hyper-V Migration
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    iBrokeIT wrote: »
    A good watch if you haven't already...

VMware to Hyper-V Migration

Koodos! ... thanks!!!!
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    I did this with an ESX4.x cluster to SCVMM2012sp1. It was pretty simple--

How to Convert VMware Virtual Machines to Hyper-V

And I used the P2V process--

Migrating to Hyper-V VMs: Conversion tool options

Of note is uninstalling any antivirus and uninstalling VMware tools before the conversion.

Edit: I reread your original post and see you're going with MVMC, let me know how it goes! VMM makes it stupid simple icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    lsud00d wrote: »
    I did this with an ESX4.x cluster to SCVMM2012sp1. It was pretty simple--

How to Convert VMware Virtual Machines to Hyper-V

And I used the P2V process--

Migrating to Hyper-V VMs: Conversion tool options

Of note is uninstalling any antivirus and uninstalling VMware tools before the conversion.

Edit: I reread your original post and see you're going with MVMC, let me know how it goes! VMM makes it stupid simple icon_wink.gif

thanks!
  • Options
    Finding this conversion to be stupid simple.... and to think I did all this planning...
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Awesome! Yeah, the way I converted (with VMM) was really simple too. Microsoft has really stepped their game up since Server 2008!!
  • Options
    lsud00d wrote: »
    Awesome! Yeah, the way I converted (with VMM) was really simple too. Microsoft has really stepped their game up since Server 2008!!

The only problem I'm having is size.... lol!

I left the location at 9 pm since I setup jumbo frames on a vlan I made on the single gigabit switch at the location between my lenovo laptop, the Seagate NAS and the VMware 5.0 free server. the vmdk file is 2.5 GB's in size, even with the MTU set to 9216 across the board the transfer will take 16 hours even on a gigabit connection!!!!

other than that, painless...

will be heading back in the morning to do the vmdk to hyper-v conversion probably another 10 hours, lol!!!
  • Options
    nman99nman99 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Deathmage wrote: »
    The only problem I'm having is size.... lol!

I left the location at 9 pm since I setup jumbo frames on a vlan I made on the single gigabit switch at the location between my lenovo laptop, the Seagate NAS and the VMware 5.0 free server. the vmdk file is 2.5 GB's in size, even with the MTU set to 9216 across the board the transfer will take 16 hours even on a gigabit connection!!!!

other than that, painless...

will be heading back in the morning to do the vmdk to hyper-v conversion probably another 10 hours, lol!!!

The gig connection has nothing to do with it because you will never come close to using all of it with the drive speeds that are in your devices. =]
  • Options
    nman99 wrote: »
    The gig connection has nothing to do with it because you will never come close to using all of it with the drive speeds that are in your devices. =]

Indeed as we found out, the whole process took like 28 hours. it wasn't the connection (or the switching fabric even at a mtu of 9214) it was the read speeds of the nas that was the bottleneck.... oo the thing you do to keep a customer afloat that doesn't want to pay for anything....