Options

Passed Security+ Sy0-301 moments ago

SovangWSovangW Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
New here to the forum! I see a lot of good study material and good advice here so after coming and going from this forum I decided to join. Started studying for Sec + 301 last monday and passed today with a 847! Now I have Net+ and Sec+, I want to go further into this I think I want to do CCNA and start college. What would you all recommend I do to put me on the right path? I definitely like this field of work and would like to expand my knowledge in it.

Comments

• Options
    darenmohabirdarenmohabir Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am studying for the Security+ also, i have the Strata, A+, Network + and i hope to pass the Security+ soon. Are there any tips you can give me about this test?

I went to Hunter Business School and graduated with academic honors and my teacher said "Go to college and increase your knowledge and skills" If you can go to college, i say do it, it will help you be better and make more money in the long run.
  • Options
    Justin-Justin- Member Posts: 300
    Sometimes it's not always about the money, it's about what you enjoy doing. So if you really want to emerge yourself into Security, then yes taking a program at a college/university would be very helpful.
  • Options
    DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    SovangWSovangW Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I realize my question was poorly presented. When I asked about going to college I was looking for advice on what classes. They would have to be online. It also seems as though I may be some kid fresh out of high school when reading this post, I am not. I'm 23 and am active duty in the military.

As far as what I used to study during the 2 weeks I studied for this. I used google and Security+ Guide to Network Security Fundamentals (Fourth Edition) by Mark Ciampa. Also the Comptia Security+ app on my iPhone which was 7.99$ I believe.

Tips I can give, Know your ports and protocols. Use the App to help expose your weak areas. study those areas. Keep retaking the tests in the app until you continuously pass them with 100%. Find online practice test. Keep retaking those until you continually get 100%. Find more test, see if you can average roughly 90% on a few tests that you have not taken. Do the review questions in the book. Be sure to study the pictures and be sure to pay close attention to everything bolded. Things that continually show up, be sure to know them. Any chart you see, you should draw out yourself and study those charts. Know you acronyms.
  • Options
    cdfcdf Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    SovangW- s/f from another Marine on a different rock. What did you think about the about the book you used? I'm getting ready to register for Sec+ and the CTC uses the same book out here. I'm going to try to read it before I get into the class. Is it worth the read?
  • Options
    cdfcdf Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Also SovangW, I wanted to provide my recommendation: begin your degree as you are able one class at a time or more if your workload allows. Continue pursuing valuable certifications while you can, as they equate to dollars in the real world.

On degrees: Find a college, find a focus, talk to an advisor, start college. You won't go wrong majoring in a blanket IT field because IT is one of the highest paying industries right now. But what I DO recommend is talking to an advisor and getting the run down on the various programs that XYZ University has to offer. Because I am an eastern NC guy myself and because you are in that area, I recommend a UNC based distance program. I personally got a BS in CompSci at UNC Charlotte. Here's an example of what programs I had to choose from at UNCC:

Programs | Department of Computer Science | UNC Charlotte

Also, look into Fayetteville State University- they just started a new Cyber degree program and they are military minded with a distance program (my wife is taking classes right now with FSU from Okinawa). Also, I haven't been to Cherry Point in years but CCC should still have a satellite campus. Whatever it takes to begin the process, dude- you will reap the reward at a pace dictated by YOU.
  • Options
    ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□