Options

Beginning My Journey to VCP5-DCV (Completion in 7 weeks)

Sirah8499Sirah8499 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Goal: To achieve the VCP5-DCV in 7 weeks.

Material that will be used:
1. 6 week virtualization class at my college.
2. Sybex book by Brian Atkinson
3. CBT Nuggets videos
4. 5 Day online course for exam authorization.

I may post my progress here if you guys are interested.

For those of you who achieved this, how long did it take you? What sort of materials did you use? Any tips are also appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    dsgmdsgm Member Posts: 228 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I never heard of it being completed in 7 weeks, i would love to complete it in 3 months, especially since i use it a little at my current job, not as much as i would like but a little.

Post your progress i would be interested.
  • Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I think if you have vmware experience already, 7 weeks is doable. If you're starting from scratch, it would be somewhat doubtful.

That being said, go for it. Maybe don't spend the money to schedule your test until you're sure yo'ure ready though
  • Options
    Highl1Highl1 Member Posts: 24 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It's quite doable. For VCP4, I went to a 5-day classes, and then spent another month at studying from Sybex books and CBT, and passed the exam with a score of more than 400. Prior to that, I had ESX/ESXi 3.5 and vSphere 4.0 experience, but without shared storage, only with Essentials license
  • Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    Sirah8499 wrote: »
    Goal: To achieve the VCP5-DCV in 7 weeks.

Material that will be used:
    1. 6 week virtualization class at my college.
    2. Sybex book by Brian Atkinson
    3. CBT Nuggets videos
    4. 5 Day online course for exam authorization.

I may post my progress here if you guys are interested.

For those of you who achieved this, how long did it take you? What sort of materials did you use? Any tips are also appreciated.
    That's a very ambitious goal. How much VMware vSphere experience do you have?
  • Options
    chickenlicken09chickenlicken09 Member Posts: 537 ■■■■□□□□□□
    how long does it usually take? for someone with no experience?
  • Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    eddo1 wrote: »
    how long does it usually take? for someone with no experience?

Its hard to say really, it depends on how fast you can learn and how much you study. People who work with vSphere every day can fail the VCP exam easily. If you have a solid foundation of virtualization and lab every day, then you might be able to have sufficient experience after 6 months (guesstimate). I've worked with vSphere for around 3 years and still found the test to be quite difficult.