Options

Progressing my and your career in ICT.....[Blog/Thread]

2»

Comments

• Options
    BaroneBarone Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The interview with the ADF went really well, I went in with a positive attitude and it clearly showed with my initial interviews. Which I passed with flying colours, now I need to get into shape more seriously and select my job preferences. The main thing I need to keep in mind is that this process is going to take around 3+ months, I need to get into shape mainly and then their might also be a longer wait if the position I am after is not initially available. My immediate work college has worked out my intentions but I don't think he's planning on staying at the end of this year, besides I think he's keen to see how I go.

I'm resolving not to inform HR of my intentions or my immediate manager, they remind me to much "smiling assassins".

Opportunities for more input at work have been fairly limited, I've seen the HR guy have "career" conversations with other members of the team and what opportunities can be provided for them in the future. I approached this idea in my first twelve months with this company.

- It was indicated that I have neither the experience or qualifications to move into ICT Management nor would their be any real positions of opportunity for me to learn/develop/participate in because the organisation was a fairly flat structure.

I'm fully aware of others in the company that who have had less experience and qualifications than me but they have progressed into actual positions. I'm not to sure what the issue is but it's been twelve months and I've noticed that I'm not even in consideration for the most "basic" learning opportunities......so time to move on.

I figure that for the time being I'll come into work and continue to be a "smiling assassin", keep up a good work ethic and keep my own personal projects ticking along.

Slow and steady.
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    After reading your posts I get the feeling you are lacking a lot of perspective from the business side of this equation which is leading to your current situation.
    Barone wrote: »
    I've seen the HR guy have "career" conversations with other members of the team and what opportunities can be provided for them in the future. I approached this idea in my first twelve months with this company.

I'm not to sure what the issue is but it's been twelve months and I've noticed that I'm not even in consideration for the most "basic" learning opportunities......

Slow and steady.

Why does the HR guy have to be the first to approach you? Refer back to my original post on this thread...
    iBrokeIT wrote: »
    YOU need to be the one to take responsibility for your career and professional development because no one else will. Your boss, HR and company will put their own interests a head of yours more often than not

Why can't you go ask the HR guy directly why aren't you being considered for other positions or what do you need to do to be qualified for those positions? Perfect example of you expecting others to show up with a silver platter while you sit back.
    It was indicated that I have neither the experience or qualifications to move into ICT Management nor would their be any real positions of opportunity for me to learn/develop/participate in because the organisation was a fairly flat structure.

Ya, that's a completely unrealistic expectation on your part to go from helpdesk to management. Did you ask what qualifications he thinks a good manager should have? Did solicit any feedback about areas you could improve on your own or did you just shrug and go back to your desk?
    ...I've indicated my interest to learn and develop skills to move into IT Service Management but I feel all I've recevied is a pat on the head and "That's nice dear".

Sounds like you are overestimating the value and need of your ITIL cert in your organization.

On to the job you didn't get, why would a company hire you then invest time and effort into training you if you tell them you are going to jump ship in 12 or less months?

File this one under being brutally honest:
    You have been in IT for 15 years and are still on the helpdesk, so to some/a lot of people that is a huge red flag that raises questions like:
    Is he not able capable of handling anything more advanced? Does he lack motivation and is he only going to do the bare minimum?

What notable professional achievements have you accomplished in the last 12 months to advance your career out of the helpdesk/desktop support?
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback mate, even if I don't like hearing it or reading it. I'm always prepared to to receive it :)

Reading back over this thread, it's looking like a disaster zone that is progressively getting worse. I need to seriously refocus what I want to do and where I want to go with my working career. At this point I have a few ideas I will be actively pursuing regardless of any future consequences.

On a personal front, my father went into hospital this year for a major operation. Seeing him like that and watching him recover over the last couple of months has completely changed my scope of what I want to do and where I want to go with anything that I do. The next few months are going to be interesting for me as I feel the need for some major changes are due and have SLOWLY come to the conclusion.

When I get sometime I'll update further.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Sounds like you are taking the right steps, which is to first recognize and acknowledge that you want to move on. We've all been there. Even if you don't have a solid plan, the fact that you are actively doing something about your career situation is great. It's never too late to start imho. Even myself - I'm in my late forties and I've started to look around again for the third time in 3 years.

Best of luck to you.

I truly believe that there is no right or wrong way to move ahead. If there was a secret sauce, then anyone could do it.
  • Options
    Quick update.

Exercise and dieting plan is working well, still kicking around the idea of either going into IT; Chef Appreticeship or Personal Administration for the Navy. It's still going to take a quite a few weeks to get into shape and get it all organized and done.

I'm also getting my CCNA, aiming to finish withing the next month.