Options

new salary help

mooed_musicmooed_music Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
Please help me know what rate is acceptable for a junior network admin as a contractor with the u s army. I currently work on the same contract as a help desk analyst at 15 an hour. I am not good at negotiations and need help.

Comments

• Options
    I forgot to mention although I have my ccna I don't have any professional networking experience. I have been on the help desk for about 7 months. That is all my IT experience.
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Where are you located?

Remember that with negotiations, you want to shoot high because they will try to come in low, then meet in the middle. If you're already on the contract, is it with the same prime or sub?
  • Options
    auxiliarypriestauxiliarypriest Member Posts: 59 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would like some additional information. First off, your location and your current responsibilities as a Help Desk Analyst. Second, what will your responsibilities be as Jr Network Admin?
    2020 Goals: [x ] C|HFI [x] CySA+ [x ] MSCSIA
    Connect with me on Linkedin, just say you're from TechExams
  • Options
    broli720broli720 Member Posts: 394 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Glassdoor is a great resource. Try checking there for a rough figure. For us to make guesses we would need your location, educational background, and how comfortable you are with the the CCNA material.
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Maybe start by asking what others with CCNA and 7 months of help desk experience have made previously and go from there. While some interviewers may have to think about this, the army has seen thousands and probably has a figure already set.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    Currently in Indiana. My roles on the help desk are troubleshooting users issues on two large networks. Vpns to Outlook to proprietary tools and programs. I am not sure on the roles of the Jr network admin job. The tech interview consisted of questions straight from ccna.
  • Options
    Oh, and a killed it in the interview. Very comfortable with the ccna material. As for education, currently enrolled in WGU.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Going to be nearly impossible to give you any useful information without actually knowing what the duties of the new job are. Probably not a good idea to take a new job without knowing what the role is either. Titles are all over the place in this field.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Well, it'll be better than the help desk.
  • Options
    210mike210mike Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Clearance needed or not needed? Jobs that need a security clearance run far above average salary here in San Antonio, and TS/SCI jobs are way way way above average. A list of job duties would be helpful.
    WGU BS: IT Network and Design Management (Completed Oct 2014)
  • Options
    Let me ask this. Is 20/hr too low? This job requires a secret clearance.
  • Options
    auxiliarypriestauxiliarypriest Member Posts: 59 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have no idea about Indiana market, but in my area, 20/hr with Clearance seems really low. Just to give you a gauge a level 1 helpdesk position can run from 15-20/hr.
    2020 Goals: [x ] C|HFI [x] CySA+ [x ] MSCSIA
    Connect with me on Linkedin, just say you're from TechExams
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    I think it depends on where in Indiana, but overall the state has a lower than average COL.

Given the lack of information OP has provided, I would take a gander at $18-23/hr range as a junior network admin.

This also largely depends on if the contracting firm provides full, partial, or no benefits as these can be worth anywhere from $1-10k on average.
  • Options
    tkerbertkerber Member Posts: 223
    Network and Computer Systems Administrators : Occupational Outlook Handbook: : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

The US Bureau of Labor Statistics says the median pay for a Network Administrator is about $35 an hour. Now obviously take into the fact that you don't have much experience, your position is a Junior position, and it's for the government. Based on my experience I would guess it would be safe to shoot for the 50-55K range.. But that's just from the information I've gathered and personal experiences.
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    aim about 20% more than your making now. But realistically, you dont have any experience and not much in leverage, so if the position is solid and will allow you to grow your skillset tremendously, just take it as long as you getting a raise from your last position.
  • Options
    Well, I ended up getting a 50% increase. Still not what I think it should be, however, the experience I'll be able to get makes it all worth it.
  • Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    Have you thought about applying for opportunities overseas? Iraq? Afghanistan? Not only would you get alot of experience but you'll get a higher salary/clearance.
  • Options
    There's no amount of money that would get me to go back to AF.
  • Options
    cwshellhamercwshellhamer Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I had "fun" in trashcanistan

but to the point, a solid jump from 32k to roughly 45k per year seemed pretty worth it to me.
    HAVE: A+
    Working on: N+, CCENT
    Associates Degree: Lincoln Technical Institute ( DO NOT GO!)
    Bachelors degree in progress: Computer Information Systems and Cyber security - Strayer University